New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right lets try and explain this properly.

Im using Windows 7 Professional (32bit) and the Beta version of Access 2010.

I have some Access 97 databases that include linked tables to dbf files. When trying to open the linked table i get the error message "Could not find installable ISAM". When I try to link a new dbf file I get the message "External table is not in the expected format", regardless of whether i choose dbase 3, 4 or 5 as the file type.

I have also converted the Access files to the 2007 format and the conversion errors table has the description of "Microsoft Access was unable to refresh the linked table 'ACCOUNT' in database 'C:\Program Files\VISION\HOME\FERRO 1 July 2004' during conversion. Try to refresh the links manually by using the Linked Table Manager command in the Database Tools group on the Database Tools tab". Refreshing the tables just brings up the installable ISAM error again. Trying to add or open in the converted file also has the same errors as above.

The dbf files open fine in Excel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried doing this with Access 2007? Access 2010 Beta is exactly that - a beta - and there are some things that either don't work, or are broken. From what I can tell, support for at least some ISAM data types is still exists, but note that support for several types is being withdrawn. This Technet Article contains some details. Also check the Access Team Blog for some discussion on that subject.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

Everything I have read said Access 2007 should work but I Installed Access 2007 and have got exactly the same results.

Funnily though I was able to link one dbf file. The attachment shows 3 linked tables. Top one is Access 97 table. Second one is the new dbf file I just linked. 3rd one is one of the dbf files that dont work. Note
    the different symbol for the new linked table to the linked table that was in there originally? Do you think this has any significance?

EDIT: have just been experimenting and dbf files with a smaller number of fields are able to be linked no problem. It just seems the dbf files with too many fields just wont work? e.g. dbf file that I really need has 130 fields.

Will do some more googleing see what comes up.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

solved???

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same problem with the (real) Office 2010 version of Access linking to FoxPro dbf files. I can open them in Excel but not link in Access. I also can link other DBFs in the FoxPro DB but I have not yet seen a correlation with number of fields or table size.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Not solved :(

After a year off decided to have another crack at this problem.
    How gutted am I that second result in google is my original question!

No, not solved it yet. Have changed setup since then. Am now running Windows 7 64bit with Office 2010 32bit. Not that that has made any difference.

If anyone can help I am not the only one who needs it.

Cheers

New Lounger
    Thanks

Access and DBFs

QPRWinst -

Here's what i've found out so far. I started with a copy of WIN 7 32-bit Home (because I had it) and loaded Access 2000. I can link to DBFs created using some version of FoxPro. I'm not sure which version was used - it's an industry-specific business app - but i know it was originally coded around 2000.

The key(s) seem to be:
    • 32-bit Windows OS
    • MDAC
    • VFP driver from Microsoft (unsupported but still downloadable here
    • http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190233
    • The last thing is the version of Access. I haven't yet moved to Access 2002 (I don't have a copy with a license key) but i'm hoping to try Access 2003 early next week. My guess is that I will be successful with that version but I'm less optimistic about later versions.
    What happens during the linking process is that with the first two compnents above installed, Access is "smart" enough to know that some dbf files also need to access index files (CDX) and it asks you which tables you want to use as well as whcih indices you want. I'm still pretty vague about this part of the process since I'm not a DB programmer, but the key is the 32-bit OS. The VFP drive from Microsoft simply will not install and run under 64-bit. The secondary issue is whether or not the latest version of Access will use the VFP driver. I should also mention that after I installed the VFP driver i had to set up either a System- or User- DSN.