Thread: Win7 Starter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I purchased a Dell Mini Netbook pre-loaded win Win7 Starter, should I spend the money and upgrade to Win7 Home Premium or because it's a netbook stick with the Starter Edition?

Thanks
    Hi Brian, and welcome to the Lounge!

Whether to stay with Starter or opt for Home Premium would be your decision, but I can tell you what I would do if I had a new netbook with Win7 Starter Edition installed. I would go with it. Starter Edition is Windows 7 "lite" and should run more efficiently on a new netbook than Home Premium. There are limits as to what you can do with Starter, but I would never need to exceed those limitations on my netbook. Of course it really boils down to how you want to use your netbook. I use mine mainly for email and internet.

I do not know which Atom processor your Dell has on board, but the numbers I have seen in PCWorld benchmarks have shown Win 7 Starter to benchmark at 10% less than Windows XP. Ten percent does not sound like much but the Atom processor needs all the advantage it can get. If your Dell has the Nvidia Ion platform on board, then your performance should be better than the average netbook and that would make Home Premium more appealing in my opinion. I have not seen any testing on netbooks so equipped. You might want to check that out.

Quite a few people have upgraded to Home Premium, but I believe the Anytime Upgrade is $80, so you have to ask yourself if it is worth that much to you on a netbook.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks your input was very helpful because I was leaning toward staying with Starter. I only plan on using the netbook for e-mail, web surfing and as a travel computer. I'll use the $80 for something else I really need.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    After using the netbook for a while if you find you need a feature that is not in Win 7 Starter you can always upgrade later. I'd guess the biggest thing you'd need to worry about is RAM more than processor.

Joe

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another thing to consider is that you will not be able to utilize the Aero interface (which is in Preium but not Starter) unless you have sufficient graphics power. You might want to look at your system rating (Computer | Properties), specifically at the Graphics rating - it should be 3 or higher before considering using Aero.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a Samsung NC10 netbook with Win 7 Ultimate and a 2GB memory upgrade. The Intel GMA950 graphics runs Aero fine. I perceive no difference in speed using Win7 versus Win XP. In fact, it seems to boot and restore from Sleep mode a little faster than from XP.

But netbooks are not fast; compared to most desktops they are possitively pedestrian.

I think your choice of applications you use is far more important for performance. For example. I found removing (my preferred AV) NOD32 and installing Microsoft Security Essential made a significant improvement, as did removing Office 2007 and replacing it with Windows Live Mail and Office 2010 Starter edition (beta). Probably, I should have skipped WLM and simply used Web Mail through FireFox. So think carefully about which apps you are going to install.

Terry