Thread: Sp-3 problem

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After installing sp-3 my computer froze. I did some research and asked questions in this forum. finally someone suggested that I remove Norton and Mcfee anti virus programs form my computer because they were notorius for causing update problems. after months of trying to figure out the problem, bingo, that was it. I removed Norton and Mcfee from my computer and installed sp-3 without any problem. thanks to this forum for the info.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad this solved your problem.
    I am surprised that you did not have more problems before this. Running two or more AV programs have lead to nothing but problems.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Plutonium for the information. I have only one AV program running now. windows essentials.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Glad this solved your problem.
    I am surprised that you did not have more problems before this. Running two or more AV programs have lead to nothing but problems.
    that is so true DaveA, especially outdated McAfee & Norton AVs that are not fully XP SP3 compatible. the 2009/2010 & higher editions of those AV apps should work under XP SP3 but it's NEVER a good idea to be using both at the same time.

Thanks
    The most reliable & stable way to install XP SP3 is as part of an overall os clean install, so if your finding
    that you have problems installing over an "existing up and running setup" this is the way to go, baring known
    culprits like Norton and Mcfee.

Spending months trying to pin this down is quite impressive in itself and we thank you for it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.