New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello everyone. First post on the lounge - long time Windows Secret subscriber though :>.

I love VLC and have been using it for years but I noticed a severe flaw either w/ Microshaft or VLC this past year while using both. VLC media player (any version so far) freezes Windows 7 and requires a hard boot after expanding (dragging) VLC window slowly towards toolbar at the bottom. This happens every single time I do it. I have tried this on multiple systems including two lappy's and three towers w/ multiple installs and even different levels/stages of patches from MS. A hard boot is the only thing that works after it freezes (as is - no black or blue screen or anything). Please try it any one and let me know if this is exclusive to me and ALL of my computers just hate me. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I'm suspicious of any program that does not specifically say it supports Windows 7. Starting with Vista and continuing in Windows 7, Microsoft made big changes in many areas of the OS particularly with drivers. Your best bet is probably a response to your post in the VLC forum.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I use VLC on my W7 64 bit setup and occasionally the program will crash, but nowhere near as severe
    as causing a system wide freeze-up. Expanding and dragging the VCL open window works without issue for me.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have Win 7 64 and use VLC exclusively, it has not crashed at all yet. I have version 1.0.3 Goldeneye.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am currently using VLC 1.0.1 GoldenEye on a Windows 64 Bit Ultimate OS.

Have you installed any 3rd party codec suites?

I also did have a bit of problem with the video quality until I changed my settings,

VLC > Tools > Video > Output: OpenGL Video Output

Apart from that everything is smooth