2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BEST SOFTWARE

Three useful but little-known Web applications

By Ian "Gizmo" Richards

You're probably familiar with Web-based apps such as Google Calendar and Flickr,

but there are dozens of useful, though less-known, Internet apps available for free.

Some of these superb apps offer an excellent alternative to installing expensive, specialized utilities on your PC.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/04/08/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 15:49.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use several applications everyday which have not been supported or even available for years. I have a lot of data in some of them. I am sure glad they were not "Cloud" applications. I will use applications on my hard drive for as long as possible. I hope "Until death us do part".

The only "Cloud" application I am forced to use for changing my remote control, is a real pain. I am looking for a "Non-Cloud" competitor.

Thanks
    I totally agree with two vegans! I shutter to think about just who may be watching what I write, or what I do with my finances on a "cloud" provided spreadsheet. I have used cloud-type computing on my job which was much slower and less dependable than the hard drive resident programs that were being used before that.

Honestly, call me paranoid, but the less I have to worry about others being able to have access to my photos, music, and personal items, the better. I would much rather go out and buy an external hard drive, for instance than use a cloud-based backup like Carbonite, and now Comcast has a similar product, which they allow 2GB free, (and then you must pay for more, of course!) Can you imagine letting any of these corporate heads have access to all my personal and private files? And don't tell me they won't be able to access them, they'll be able to do just what they want, just like they always do.

Keep your clouds, I don't need 'em.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

--------------------------------