2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

When streaming video stutters and stops

ByFred Langa

Watching streaming video on your PC is great — until poor computer performance or a slow network turns it into an unwatchable mess.

But it doesn't have to be that way. Frequent pauses, video breakup, stutters, and hangs can often be eliminated with some simple fixes.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/04/08/04 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 15:55.

Lounger
    Thanks
    In reading the Enlarging Outlook 2007's fonts, permanently article, I'm reminded of people that are somewhat computer illiterate and not technically curious that "use me" when they need upgrades. I've helped numerous folks upsize their monitor, and they always say some comment on the text size. By adjusting the screen resolution, we can always get it to a readable size without making them take extra steps to read tiny fonts. But that brings up the question, "Why did you buy a new monitor if you aren't changing anything?". Anyway, my 2.

-- A pessimist's blood type is always b-negative.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I take care of my video stuttering problem by clicking the play button, then as soon as the video begins to play, immediately pausing it. On most sites the video will continue to buffer in the background while I do something else for a minute or few; then when it's done, I hit play again, and watch smooth playback. Most sites will have a red or grey bar you can scroll back and forth to jump to a different spot in the video; the background of this bar fills up like a thermometer so you know when buffering is done. It may not solve the problem, exactly, but it works most of the time!

Jae Banks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    With respect to the enlarging fonts in Outlook, the user might find some relief, at least with respect to reading plain text messages by increasing the font size in Stationary and Fonts. This isn't the perfect remedy but it will help somewhat.