Thread: Send To Folder

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Trying to add shortcuts to 'Send To" folder and I don't have privileges. There is one user account on the computer. I don't understand why one needs privileges to create an entry in the Send To Folder. I'm just trying to make processes more efficient. I just don't get the need to do hacks to perform a relatively benign task on an unnetworked laptop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly where are you trying to add the shortcuts? The c:\users\xxx\SendTo folder is locked because it is really a link to the new location:
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Sen dTo

You should be able to add your shortcuts in that new location.

Note that in Vista that many of the folder locations moved and Windows kept links around so that programs that used the old locations would still work. And Windows 7 inherited the new locations What you need to do it figure out the new locations for those folders. One way to do that is open a command prompt and enter:

dir /a c:\users\xxx\*

Then look at the result - the new location will appear in the name column. Here's an example entry from my PC- the new location is within brackets:

08/11/2009 07:01 PM <JUNCTION> SendTo [C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\S endTo]

NOTE: Replace 'xxx' in the above by your username.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Magnuson View Post
    Trying to add shortcuts to 'Send To" folder and I don't have privileges. There is one user account on the computer. I don't understand why one needs privileges to create an entry in the Send To Folder. I'm just trying to make processes more efficient. I just don't get the need to do hacks to perform a relatively benign task on an unnetworked laptop.
    This can easily be overcome by either right clicking >>properties>>security settings remove "everyone" from the permissions list, or
    go through this thread for more information.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.