Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On Easter day I was busy getting rid of some scareware (Vista Security Tool 2010) on a friend's computer (I downloaded the latest Vipre rescue file on my own comp and brought it over to her on a memory stick, which proved very effective).
    In the process, I suggested she should switch her (wireless) router off to ensure no further infection during the recovery procedure. However, the indicator in the system tray showed that she was still online (even though she could get onto any web pages due to the scareware) and the computer was even busy downloading (and successfully installing) a Vista update.
    This suggests to me that her computer was latching onto a WiFi in a neighbouring house, but I couldn't work out how to find out whether this was the case, or even whether she is ever going online through her own router at all.....

Any ideas how to find this out? (short of asking all neighbours to switch off their routers!)

(Interesting point - does Vista Security Tool 2010 make it look as if you are online when in fact you are not? Seems unlikely in this case in view of the downloaded Vista update....)

Very puzzled... I shall see her again next week, so I'll store up suggestions for then...
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Dave.

Here's what I would do. First go to a "wired" computer on her network, open a Command prompt then type "ipconfig/all" without the quotes, hit enter and there you will find the IP of the network. Now do the same thing with the laptop - are the two network IP's the same? If not, you've got your answer. Each computer's IP will be different starting with 192.168.x.x but the network IP should be the same.

Another way would be to power down the router - can she still stay connected? If so, she's using a neighbor's network.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bill
    Thanks. There is no other computer on the network. As mentioned before, we did power down the router (we switched it off), so it certainly looks like it may be a neighbour's network.
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Solomons View Post
    Any ideas how to find this out? (short of asking all neighbours to switch off their routers!)
    If her router is turned off and she is still connected online then she is using a neighbor's network. Right click the network icon and disconnect from the network. After you've cleaned up her PC, turn on her router, open a browser and configure her router giving it a unique name. Also, make sure it is using the highest security level the device will support, preferably WPA2. Use a strong pass key. Then connect to her network.

Joe