New Lounger
    Thanks

Gmail not working in Firefox

I apologize if this has been covered before, but, I could not find a thread through the available search, using various combinations of terms.

Suddenly access to Gmail in Firefox (3.6.2) has stopped being available.
    I do not remember when I did the upgrde to 3.6.2, but it seems that it was just before this started happening.
    I have not found any other site that won't load correctly.

When trying to access the Gmail web site I get a tabbed screen that is titled "Problem loading page”. Message on page is as follows:

"The connection was interrupted

The connection to mail.google.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

All Add-ons have been "disabled" and all cookies and cache have been deleted.

All other web based emails are working correctly in FF. And Gmail works correctly in IE6 on same machine. Google Search and Toolbar work correctly in FF.

The PC in question is a work machine. My home PC is working correctly.

I'm not sure what else to check.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How are you trying to access Gmail with your browser? My clicking the Gmail link on a Google home page? By typing mail.google.com into your navigation bar? By a Gmail checker add-on?

After cleaning your cache yet again, I'd try both of the first two methods above. If no luck, then try getting to your Gmail account through an online proxy - it is possible your employer has blocked access to Gmail on their network. If it is a unique problem with just your Gmail account at work, then it does seem to me it would not be an application error but rather the site is being blocked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Miles View Post
    The PC in question is a work machine. My home PC is working correctly.
    Any possibly relevant differences between the two machines, e.g., security filters, ad blockers?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand your question properly, the machine is likely not the problem. I'm thinking an employer might block access to certain sites to reduce time spent on the sites while at work. Did you try getting to Gmail via an online proxy? If you not used a proxy before, This Link. Just put mail.google.com in and try it.

I'm not saying this is the case with your employer but I have seen employers put popular sites into the company's computer's host file thus preventing access.

Lounger
    Thanks
    3.6.3 is available-Upgrade & try that.

David Pidcock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jscher2000 – “differences” - Nothing that matters.

Bill – I’m thinking blocking except IE will connect and Firefox won’t. And normally, the sites not allowed by the company are diverted to a standard page that effectively tells you the company doesn’t want you to go there, not the message I’m getting. Tried the proxy route and I DO get the aforementioned company standard “you are not allowed here” message page.

The AZGolfBum – Did 3.6.3 as soon as I was notified that it was available. Same effect.

All – Thank for these thoughts!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interestingly, I just tried IE emulation through FF 3.6.3, via Coral IE Tab add-on and Gmail works there also. I realize that the same as IE stand alone, but thought I would mention it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update. Do you wish to try something else - I've got another idea.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If gmail working with IE and not with Firefox, do check your firewall setting. upgrade your firefox. if you face a block issue then many web proxy website avaliable click http://proxymonster.us, copy and paste your url in text field and click surf. That it
    Last edited by tararojer; 2014-03-14 at 08:01.