2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

This comes under the category of "annoyance" and I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem. An example:

John Smith (smith@hotmail.com) has been in my Outlook 2003 contacts for years. When I start a new e-mail, I don't go to contacts, or use the "To" button - I just start typing "Joh" in the To field and the contact "John Smith" shows up. I select it and I'm off to the races. I do this for all my contacts.

Last month, John Smith switched to gmail, so he's now smith@gmail.com. I dutifully update my contacts, deleting the old e-mail address. Of course I still have saved e-mails from his old Hotmail account that I don't want to get rid of.

Problem: Now when I start an e-mail to John Smith, Outlook insists on showing the Hotmail choice, and will continue to do that. It seems that I can train Outlook over time if I keep clicking on the "To" button, but the whole point of the auto-recognize is to speed things up for people like me. And even after it's "trained" I don't completely trust it. Is there a way to have auto-recognize look only at the contacts, and not at old e-mail addresses in my Inbox and personal folders?

Cheers,

John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Highlight the obsolete entry when it pops up and press delete. Outlook should then "remember" the new entry.

You can also use a free tool such as NK2View - View/Delete/Edit Outlook .NK2 AutoComplete Information to manage the entries.

Joe
    Joe