2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just completed a new build. I tried testing it for "power on" and get only a second of power, then nothing. I assume something is causing a protective circuit in the PS to break. My connections look fine to me. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM. I put an AMD quad in the AM3 socket and added 2x2 GB Corsair DDR2 800. The power supply is a Thermaltake 500 watt TR2 (W0379). The case is the 4 fan model of the Antec three hundred.

My guess is that the mobo and PS are not getting along, but I have no idea what to do now to zero in on the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Does this happen just once, or every attempt to power on?

It could be something as simple as an out of place standoff to a processor that is not seated correctly.
    Try rebuilding it from the board up, bare bones and out of the case; PSU, processor/heatsink-fan, and one stick of memory only.
    Swap out the PSU if you are able.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It happens every time I try to test the power on. I press the start button, then the fans start, but only for about a second. I have disconnected the optical drive and HD. There are no cards installed. It may be some kind of short, but I can't imagine where or how to spot it. I can try rebuilding.

Thanks
    As Clint suggested, swapping out the power supply would be prudent, or if you have a digital meter with which you can confirm the output voltages on your current power supply that would be faster and less troublesome. Sometimes power supplies come out of the box defective.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    As Clint suggested, swapping out the power supply would be prudent, or if you have a digital meter with which you can confirm the output voltages on your current power supply that would be faster and less troublesome. Sometimes power supplies come out of the box defective.
    I have a voltmeter (old, not digital). I suppose I could check the voltages at the 20+4 and 4+4 ends. So far, I have removed the motherboard from the case and have only the ram, CPU, and power connections still attached. I am getting the same result. When I push the power button (carefully checked for correct pin connection), the power comes on for about a second. The CPU fan turns, then the power goes off.

Thanks
    Did you plug in the 8 pin power connector as well?