Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have devleoped a 26 page document that looks fine in print layout but in print preview or when printing shifts the text up into the header. I have several copies of this document and some will print just fine but after closing Word and later opening again the document has shifted the text into the header. This gets progressively worse as you view the pages towards the end of the document. What could be causing this and how can I salvage the documents?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you attach a sample document (with any confidential information removed) that displays the problem?

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I respond with an attachment?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you use the Switch to Full Editor button when you reply, you will see new commands appear. Immediately under the text pane, you will the Attachments section: click on BROWSE, locate the document and them press UPLOAD.

Terry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay -- thank you for the help. I have attached part of this Business Plan that is giving me fits when I view in print preview or just print. You will see that the text just shifts upward. I appreciate your help.

Fran
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Nadosy View Post
    I have attached part of this Business Plan that is giving me fits when I view in print preview or just print.
    I have Word 2003, so some of the issues may be due to the conversion. Step 1 is to set a proper sized top margin in Page Setup. Half an inch just isn't enough to clear your tall header. After that, you will need to clean up the spacing inserted with paragraph marks to match the new margin. Does that help?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I increased the top margin to 0.7" and that solved the problem. Ahhhhh ---- thank you --- no more grey hair!

Fran

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay --- changing the margin did solve most of the problems but I am still experiencing the same issue with page 16-18 and I cannot adjust the spacing without making the pages look like I did not how to assemble a document. I never had this type of problem with the older Word versions --- is this another "Feature" with 2007 office?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Okay --- changing the margin did solve most of the problems but I am still experiencing the same issue with page 16-18 and I cannot adjust the spacing without making the pages look like I did not how to assemble a document. I never had this type of problem with the older Word versions --- is this another "Feature" with 2007 office?
    The returns used to force text to a new page are causing the problem. Use page breaks instead or better still use styles and include the page break before setting in the definition of your heading 1.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is unrelated to the problem with text shifting, but I wonder if you would consider using a typeface other than Comic Sans for the main body content of this document - it may not be the best choice for a professional presentation. The Georgia font, which you've used in the headers and footers, is quite nice, and would look quite good if used for the body content as well - just my (unsolicited) take.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary,
    You are correct about the professional appearance of the George font and actually the Garamond font is considered the Gold Star font for this type of document. I only used the Comic Sans because I wanted to add some excitement to this long (26 pages) document fearing a monotone of fonts (George & Garamond) would cause the reader to doze off before getting to the end. You are 100% correct in your analysis, though!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam,
    Your suggestions are appreciated but unfortunately, I am not familiar with "returns" and using "styles". I have used page breaks in the past but only rarely. Would you elaborated a little on "returns" and using "styles"? Why would using one be better than another? I would value your insight.

Fran

Thanks
    I am not familiar with "returns" and using "styles". I have used page breaks in the past but only rarely. Would you elaborated a little on "returns" and using "styles"?
    First, you may need to turn on viewing of non-printing characters that affect line spacing, such as paragraph ends and manual line breaks.

Office Button > Word Options > Display > "Always show..." (I like to see everything except spaces)

[attachment=88492:wo2-display_top.png]

The paragraph marks indicate the returns (where Enter was pressed).

Each paragraph has a style that can have a pre-defined spacing between lines, and spacing (blank lines) before and after.

For quickie documents, there's little gain to defining your own styles or customizing Microsoft's styles, but for a document that has a couple hours of work in it, custom styles ease maintenance and help you solve messy formatting problems more quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Pam,
    Your suggestions are appreciated but unfortunately, I am not familiar with "returns" and using "styles". I have used page breaks in the past but only rarely. Would you elaborated a little on "returns" and using "styles"? Why would using one be better than another? I would value your insight.

Fran
    Hi, Fran,

The "return" is the enter key. When you are displaying formatting marks, it looks like this . (To turn formatting marks on and off, click the icon in the toolbar or ribbon.)

Styles are the way to apply several setting to a paragraph at once. Typically you would have a style for regular paragraphs, headings, footnotes, etc. You can change a setting (say, the font, size, line spacing, or font color) in a style and it will apply to all the paragraphs in the document that are "in" that style. Styles take a little time to set up and apply, but they save time when revising and make re-purposing (totally changing the look of a document to appeal to a different readership or to present the information in a different media) documents much easier. In addition they make consistency (even small things like the space after a heading) easier to achieve. Take a look at this site for some more about styles:
    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html. Although that the page describes W2003, the concepts are the same as in W2007.

Because manual page breaks can also cause problems when text is added or removed, it is generally better to let Word break the pages automatically.

In your case, though, probably the fastest thing to do is clean up what you have. First your top margin needs to be about 1.25" to clear the image and leave a little breathing room after the large graphic. Put a page break before any line/paragraph that you want to start a new page. Go through the document and delete empty paragraphs (that is, paragraphs with no text) at the tops and bottoms of pages. Write back if you have more problems.

HTH,
    Pam
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam,

I changed the top margin as you suggested and then inserted manual page breaks where the pages needed to end. The result is that my many hours of work creating this document was saved and the print preview displays the pages the way I intended them as created. I am printing and it appears that the only downside is the printer will not print all 26 pages automatically and requests "Manual Load" for each page. Is there a work around for this remaining challenge?

If not, at least the many hours of work has been salvaged --- thank you!

Fran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast