New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings all, this is my first posting to the lounge. I took an ASP.NET class a few years ago and, because of the lack of classic college style textbooks for this subject, the professor used "ASP.NET 3.5 for Dummies." The instructor that taught me has retired and the school has not offered the class in a couple of years. They have asked me if I would like to teach it (I teach other computer courses for them, such as Assembler and Web Design)

I'm more than a little hesitant. Because of my programming background I did well in the class when I took it. But I understand there is a big difference between being a student and being a teacher. If I decide to do it, I will have the whole summer in which to prepare, and I think I can probably handle it ok. However, I would prefer to teach with a classic college textbook, one that has Instructor Resources packaged with it, rather than a standard non-college textbook.

I believe that ASP.NET 4.0 is the current version out there, although I guess that 3.5 is still widely used. Unfortunately, I have not found a college textbook for either of these versions. There are some college texts available for version 2.0. I was wondering if I would be doing the students a disservice by using an older release, or, because I teach at a community college and this is a one-semester introductory course, if the material taught in 2.0 would be applicable to 3.5 or 4.0

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    ~Ken

Thanks
    I wonder whether Microsoft has any resources for instructors, or would they just try to sell you a book?

Are there any professional societies that might be able to help, e.g., sites where you can find syllabi and reading lists?

In my mind, the problem is that ASP.Net straddles web development (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) and more formal programming (C# or VB.Net). This sure is a lot to cover and guessing the students' backgrounds is likely to be a challenge.

Good luck!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Applequist View Post
    I believe that ASP.NET 4.0 is the current version out there, although I guess that 3.5 is still widely used.
    ASP.NET 4.0 is not yet released. It will be "launched" next week the DevConnections conference in Las Vegas. Most likely, it will be officially released shortly after that. See Home: The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site for much more information on .NET.

Joe
    Joe