Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Internet connection is good, but browsers will not load pages. Same problem is using FireFox or MSIE. Other PCs on LAN work OK.

Symptoms:
    Web page title does load top of Window.
    Status bar message says "waiting for domain......"
    Progress bars starts nevers stops.

Troubleshooting:
    I can ping OK to the domain names and to the IP addresses. Cannot connect with browser if I use IP in Address block vs. domain.
    Email clients connect OK and send /receive emails.
    Can make remote connections to other computers.
    Can do FTP transfers.
    All firewalls are OFF
    Hosts file is OK.
    Ran SFC, no problems
    Ran chkdsk, no problems.
    Default browser is FireFox, did run in FireFox Safe Mode, same result....

Environment:
    XP PRO-SP3, FireFox 3.6.3 and MSIE 8.0.6.
    Anti virus and anti malware programs say system is clean.

Cause? Was probably caused by sudden power loss to system, shutting it down.
    Have had this problem since that happened about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks
    Have you tried a system restore to a date before the power loss?

Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I had checked that, but no dates available before that time frame.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by obfusc88 View Post
    Thanks, I had checked that, but no dates available before that time frame.
    Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the browsers?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Do you have a local firewall that might be blocking port 80? That would be very unusual, but... Or intercepting port 80 to run through a filter (proxying) that isn't working correctly?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have a local firewall that might be blocking port 80? That would be very unusual, but... Or intercepting port 80 to run through a filter (proxying)
    that isn't working correctly?
    Nothing that I know of, but it gives me thoughts...
    How can I see if any thing else has hijacked port 80?
    How can I temp change from port 80 to another port to see if that opens the door to good communication?
    I do have SysInternals utilities, but not really proficient with them.Could they be useful somehow?

--------------
    Response to earlier reply..I did upgrade Firefox from 3.5.7, did not try io do MSIE, figured since both have problem, it probably is not one of the applications, but instead a common file(s), reg setting, etc. Yes, that was an upgrade, not a complete removal and reinstall.

--------
    Keep the suggestion coming in, I appreciate the ideas, thanks.

Thanks
    How can I temp change from port 80 to another port to see if that opens the door to good communication?
    I do have SysInternals utilities, but not really proficient with them.Could they be useful somehow?
    Port 80 is the destination port, so you can't really change it to another port (the server usually will not be listening on other ports). Perhaps, though, you could test with a secure site (HTTPS) since that should use port 443 by default. Do those work? Not all sites allow secure connections and many will not work correctly that way.

SysInternals has many utilities. I don't know whether any would be relevant here.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried a few https sites, had no luck. The pages never load, same as normal.

SysInternals has a utility PORTMON. I think I will probably read up on that see what I can learn.

But still hoping for an instant answer to mysteriously show up here.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Response to earlier reply..I did upgrade Firefox from 3.5.7, did not try io do MSIE, figured since both have problem, it probably is not one of the applications, but instead a common file(s), reg setting, etc. Yes, that was an upgrade, not a complete removal and reinstall.
    Try uninstalling Firefox & IE7. Then reinstall IE8 and try it. If it is OK then reinstall Firefox and try it.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Aaargh!, still have the problem, worked all weekend to resolve with no luck.

Did complete removal and reinstall of FireFox and MSIE.
    Ran latest versions of AdAware, SpyBot and MalwareBytes, no change.
    For a while thought I had a malware named about:blank. Most utilities have difficulty removing so I went thru al the manual steps, No change, and I finally concluded that I probably was wrong about that infection.

I have tried PortMon, but got no history on any ports, need to go to their forum for some help with that.

Additional observations:
    Probably not a port issue, pages do start loading, the Titles get loaded at the top, so the ports must be open.
    I intentionally went to a few pages that had no java scripts, no CSS, no frames, etc., and those pages loaded OK.

I think I have done a good job of defining the environment, have alot of clues, and eliminated a lot of possibilities. Really hoping that someone who understands browsers under the covers can ID a simple registry setting that needs to be reset.

Thanks for all the current suggestions.....

Thanks
    I intentionally went to a few pages that had no java scripts, no CSS, no frames, etc., and those pages loaded OK.
    I think this is an important clue. However, if two completely different browsers are affected equally, and it persists if you turn off your outbound firewall protection, then it's hard to find a place to lay blame...

Does your security suite include an ad or Flash blocker? If so, try turning off those features.