Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    in Word XP I can format heading styles, Numbering, Bullets and Numbering, Outlined Numbered.
    for steps in Word XP see attached document.

In Word 2007 - where are the same screens located?
    I want to work with and format heading styles numbering

The Word 2007 screens , Numbering and Bullets dont even display the correct numbeirng?

see screen captures

many thanks

diana
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go to the Home Ribbon, Paragraph Group, MultiLevel List dropdown, Define New MultiLevel List. If the dialog button in the bottom left says More>> then click it to show the larger version of the dialog.

Now, go through each of the levels and Link a style to each level - Level 1 links to Heading 1, Level 2 links to Heading 2 etc. Do all the levels definitions before closing this dialog.

If you turn on the macro recorder before you start then you can get all the settings you chose stored as a macro. This is useful if you want to reapply the numbering because something has gone wrong. Note that the resultant code is monstrous but can be edited to make a more useful macro.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Diana,

If you do a search here you'll find a number of recent threads (in past 6 months, say) on this topic.

But in brief, the method illustrated in your post and attached document, which was to access customizing Bullets & Numbering via modifying a style, is no longer usable starting in Word 2007. (This was, btw, an intentional decision by Word's designers.)

You can get to the 'Outlining numbering' feature by clicking the Multilevel list button that's in the Paragraph group of the Home tab, and then clicking on Define New Multilevel List - you'll recognize the ensuing dialog as it's virtually identical to the one for customizing outline numbering, in earlier versions of Word. Once you've set up a multilevel list, if you want to make changes to it, you access it again via the same "Define New Multilevel List" button (intuitive, huh?).

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    in Word XP I can format heading styles, Numbering, Bullets and Numbering, Outlined Numbered.
    for steps in Word XP see attached document.

In Word 2007 - where are the same screens located?
    I want to work with and format heading styles numbering

The Word 2007 screens , Numbering and Bullets dont even display the correct numbeirng?

see screen captures

many thanks

diana
    Note that for the icons for bulleted lists, numbered lists and outlines in Word 2007, there are little arrow heads to the right of each icon. Click on whichever icon's arrowhead fits and you'll get a pop-up[attachment=88481:NumberedListSample.doc] menu showing all the standard formats listed as well as the ability to develop your own custom bullets, numbering and/or outlines. Please see the attached screen shot.
    BobR in New Mexico, USA

"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." This is our function, our challenge, our fulfillment - and our inheritance, to accept and to share, that the world may be healed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    ok here goes...

theres a microsoft bug when you format heading styles and use either restart, or continue numbering the paragraph loses its indentation and tab position.

Being a law firm this issue is huge as we work with heading styles. The users spend most of their time reformatting the documents

I worked out whats causing it and how to fix it.

The reason is the configurations have to be set in 2 locations:
    1 in Heading styles Format, Paragraph and Format, Tabs
    2 in Heading styles, Format, Numbering set the Number position and Tab spacing

Most people when setting up heading styles only setup in the one location. Therefore when they use restart or continue numbering, Word gets confused with the configs and doesnt know which one to apply. the result is a document that loses its indentation. If its a long document - 400 pages each time they use restart or continue they have to reformat all of the paragraphs. result really messy and time consuming.

Now I have a fix in WordXP. see attached document.

Once the heading style are set in the 2 locations, when restart, and continuing the numbering, the result is the paragraph is set and will “stick”. No lose of indenations

Were upgrading to Word2007. when I apply the same steps in 2007 ie click ribbon Home, Multilevel list, the result is it doesnt work

The same fix for XP I need in 2007

any ideas?

many thanks

diana

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know why you are getting a difference between versions of Word, the actual mechanics don't seem to have changed as far as I can tell. The interface has changed a bit but the workings in the background still work the same way for me.

I still believe that numbering should be controlled by macros if you want it to be stable and fast for your users. Rather than using the interface to restart a list, I would use a macro like the following ListRestart. If you change your mind and want the list to continue again you can reset the paragraph formatting by pressing Ctrl-Q or run the ListContinue macro shown.
    Code:
    '===============================================================
    Sub ListRestart()
    ' Macro by Chrysalis Design Pty Ltd
    ' Resets numbering of current list to restart numbering
    Dim aList As ListFormat
    Set aList = Selection.Range.ListFormat
    aList.ApplyListTemplate ListTemplate:=aList.ListTemplate, _
      ContinuePreviousList:=False
    End Sub
    '===============================================================
    Sub ListContinue()
    ' Macro by Chrysalis Design Pty Ltd
    ' Resets paragraph formatting on the current selection
    ' Is used in an Outline List to continue numbering from previous list
    Selection.ParagraphFormat.Reset
    End Sub
    A sample doc is attached to show that it can be done in Word 2007 without affecting the indentations.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The advice I have followed successfully is to set tabs and indents only in the numbering dialog (even back in W2003). Although the numbering in the proposals and government documents I deal with doesn't seem to be as rigorous as yours, I often have to restart numbering.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew

The code works if the heading style formatting remains.

However if I need to change the heading styles format and then run the code, result indentation is lost.

in your sample doc
    heading style 3 orginial formatting:
    Paragraph
    Left indent = 0cm
    Handing indent = 2cm
    Tab stop = 2cm

If I change heading 3 to the new formatting:
    Paragraph
    Left indent = 0cm
    Handing indent = 1cm
    Tab stop = 1cm

Then run either restart or continue numbering.

The result is indentation formatting lost.

After running the code Word has changing the formatting to:
    Paragraph
    Left indent = 0cm
    Handing indent = 2cm
    Tab stop = 1, 2cm

see screen capture - WoodysBulletsAndNum2
    Word appears to have adopted the indentation from Numbering

Pam - your right the key lies in setting the correct tabs and indents only in the numbering dialog.
    in Word 2007 now located on Home ribbon, Paragraph group, MultiLevel list...
    see screen capture - WoodysBulletsAndNum3.
    Attached Images Attached Images