New Lounger
    Thanks
    I often am frustrated at the lack of information readily available to monitor which programs and processes are tying up machine resources during startup. It's a sad truth that some many programs you install will also set up monitoring and update background processes that are set to start up when you boot your machine. Some of these are high CPU processes, some are very disc intensive, and some are both. I have used Task Manager and Process Explorer, but they are snapshot viewers and not suitable to see how processes run and consume machine resources over time during the startup.

Are there any utilities that might give you a good idea of what processes are doing during startup? My ideal utility would provide a timeline with dual graphic indications of CPU and disc activity, color-coded by process. As startup progressed, the utility would graph the CPU usage and the disc activity attributable to each process, allowing you to see when a process started during startup, how long it was active until it reached a steady state, and how its CPU and disc activity impacted the machine in relation to other processes.

Anything like that out there?

Thanks
    I've just asked a similar question, but for long-term monitoring while Windows is running. I've had one answer, but it doesn't quite do what I want.

I'd be very interested if someone comes up with a practical answer to your requirement, since it might solve mine!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Autorun from sysinternals. It is a must-have utility - I run it about every other week to see what additional apps have added themselves to the startup list and disable them.

It doesn't chart CPU (or other system usage) during startup, but it tells you everything that will start up.

Thanks
    Well,Better late then never....lol.Here's a link for what you & some have ben looking for.Process Hacker One Sweet & FREE program.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D D Brown View Post
    Anything like that out there?
    For Vista and later OSes see Windows Performance Analysis Tools.

Joe

Thanks
    Win Patrol
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd also have a look at TaskInfo http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html . Costs $35 but I've been using it for years and it's invaluable.

Ed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    DD Brown, BootVis may provide some of the information you're looking for. It provides some graphic visualization of the boot process.

GM

New Lounger
    Thanks
    CCleaner has a great "Startup Manager", included with it's other utilities.. Can be found at filehippo.com...it's free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    The OP is not interested in a startup manager. He is interested in a tool to monitor, analyze and report about the boot process.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyMack View Post
    DD Brown, BootVis may provide some of the information you're looking for. It provides some graphic visualization of the boot process.

GM

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    The OP is not interested in a startup manager. He is interested in a tool to monitor, analyze and report about the boot process.

Joe
    GreyMack has provided the best suggestion so far for the OP in my opinion.

If you are looking to troubleshoot or find what is happening in more detail I recommend you look at Mark Russinovich's blog post here.

The Case of the Slow Logons

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussino...3/3305263.aspx

You may not be experiencing slow logons but it gives you an example of how to monitor your logon process with Process Explorer / Process Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    GreyMack has provided the best suggestion so far for the OP in my opinion.
    Bootvis is definitely unsupported now. You have to hunt around to find it as you can't download it from Microsoft anymore. Plus I don't know if it works with newer versions of Windows. Also, don't know if it works with 64-bit Windows.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

xbootmgr