Thread: Phantom Folders

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was given an Asus laptop to troubleshoot because of poor performance. It's a Core 2 T6400 with 4Gb RAM running on Vista Home Premium 32bit for 2 years. Obviously the owner did not do any disk cleaning or defragmentation at all. I install a freeware 'Defraggler' to do the defrag. After more than 1 hour the defrag was completed but it seems that 30Gb of files & folders were still fragmented. When I check the files properties, they were all under System Volume Information & not accessable. I opened up Drive C & explore every folder (after enable show hidden files in Folder Options) & can account for 29Gb only & the total disk usage comes to 59Gb. I install another freeware 'Mydefrag' & used it to do another defrag & then chose the option 'Consolidate Freespace'. It took about 2 hours. After that I open Defraggler again to do another defrag & you know what - the total disk usage drops to 29Gb with only 3% fragmentation(385 mb) I don't where the 30Gb comes from & where did it goes to? Mydefrag did a wonderful job in clearing away these phantom files & folders. I did a system reboot & check every installed programs but everything works fine & nothing seems to be missing or broken. When the owner tries it today, she said it's so much faster than before.
    Anybody have any similar experience?
    I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit for quite a while but I didn't come across such things but I do my disk cleaning & defrag very regularly
    Intel CoreI7 P55/ 8Gb 1600 RAM DDR3/ NV GTS 570 1Gb PCIe/ HDD X 3 = 6TB/SSD x 1 128GB/ BDRW X 2/DVDRW x 2/ Corsiar 850W PSU & running on Win10 Pro 64bit

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    To view the contents of System Volume Information you need to take ownership of the folder.

The System Volume Information folder is where System Restore points are kept. Did you disable System Restore or change the amount of disk space allocated to it?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did not change anything in Windows & I am not suppose to without the owner's permission - I only troubleshoot.
    I don't think the Window Restore files will amount to 30Gb. This laptop was purchased brand new with Vista preinstalled & not upgraded from older OS. So there should not have any shadow copies of old OS within. I couldn't find anymore folders to match this 30Gb size but after I finished using 'Mydefrag Consolidate Freespace' this 30Gb disappears & the freespace is reclaimed in C Drive.
    Intel CoreI7 P55/ 8Gb 1600 RAM DDR3/ NV GTS 570 1Gb PCIe/ HDD X 3 = 6TB/SSD x 1 128GB/ BDRW X 2/DVDRW x 2/ Corsiar 850W PSU & running on Win10 Pro 64bit

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    In Vista & Win7 by default System Restore will use up to 15% of the hard drive to save the restore points. So, these days having 30GB of system restore data is easily seen with the size of hard drives now.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    In Vista & Win7 by default System Restore will use up to 15% of the hard drive to save the restore points. So, these days having 30GB of system restore data is easily seen with the size of hard drives now.

It seems that these System Restore files cannot be defrag or moved & they are all over the place. No wonder Win Vista is so sluggish in performance esp when the C drive is configured less than 100Gb in size. In fact the C drive on the laptop only have 60Gb. Do Win 7 have a similar problem or are they creating bigger partitions for the C drive? It seems that the only solution is to reduce the space use for System Restore. I remember the time when the first laptops were sold with Vista preinstalled & the C drive only have 30Gb - same as those with WinXP. No wonder people hated Vista.