New Lounger
    Thanks

Validation List (Excel 97 SR2)

Hello! Anyone have any suggestions?

I have several sheets with Validation Lists. The lists work fine but what I need is a way to get the list to drop down without using the mouse to click on the arrow. Is there a way to do this? Is it possible to create a macro to click on a letter and have the fist word in the list with that letter come up? Example: type c = Cat

Thanks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Validation List (Excel 97 SR2)

When you say create a macro to click on a letter, where is it envisioned this letter will be ?

Andrew C

New Lounger
    Thanks

The user would type the letter when located on a cell with a validation list.

Steve Ball

Try the following: The attached file has a list cell at B2. You enter a letter A-Z in this cell. This cell is then used to generate a validation list at D2:E12 which is derived from a horizontal lookup in cells G2:AF12. IOW, the entry of a letter at B@ creates its own selection list, based on the criteria you have already established in the lookup table.

New Lounger
    Thanks

That was interesting but not quite what I am looking for. This might be a better example....I have a validation list with approximately 30 different sports. The user needs to be able to type "T" (non case sensitvie) while in the validation cell and have it pre-fill the word Tennis in that same cell. If the user types "Bask" Basketball would prefill. My users don't like using the mouse when completing data entry. Do I need to be using Combo boxes instead of validation lists?

THANKS!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe you should combine the use of validation lists with the worksheet_change event. In this event, your code can loop through the list and enter the one that matches as close as possible the characters already entered. The event however, only fires after pressing the enter key.