Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of my co-workers disabled JAVA (not Javascript) on a donated used computer,
    thinking he was disabling Javascript. Now neither he or I can find
    where he did this. Somewhere off TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS >
    he recalls.

Not sure but I think it's thrown a wrench into viewing some sites.

How do you re-enable JAVA ?

It's an IBM XP-SP3 IE8 machine.

Thanks
    In the Internet Options dialog, check the Advanced tab for sections for Sun's Java JRE and Microsoft's Java VM. What you find probably depends on exactly what versions of everything you're running (I have IE7 on WinXP, which might not be comparable).

Next, check the settings on the Security tab for the Internet Zone (or other relevant zone for the problem content). If the settings have been customized, scroll down the settings until you get to Java Permissions. I'm not sure what these do; mine is set to "High Safety."

Thanks
    We need to know how Java was disabled. Was it through the Java Control Panel or Console? Or through the browser controls? It makes a difference, as Java itself (through its Control Panel or Console) has controls which include disabling it entirely. The IE Java controls (through the browser) are many and do different things. Perhaps you could give us a rundown (or even a screen shot) of your current settings for Java and Java script in your Internet Zone? Then I can post with how my IE 8 Internet Zone is configured. Mine works. (Windows XP Pro, 32-bit, SP-3)
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Primak View Post
    We need to know how Java was disabled. Was it through the Java Control Panel or Console? Or through the browser controls? It makes a difference, as Java itself (through its Control Panel or Console) has controls which include disabling it entirely. The IE Java controls (through the browser) are many and do different things. Perhaps you could give us a rundown (or even a screen shot) of your current settings for Java and Java script in your Internet Zone? Then I can post with how my IE 8 Internet Zone is configured. Mine works. (Windows XP Pro, 32-bit, SP-3)

To expand upon what Bob wrote, find the Java console in Control Panel. Click on the Java entry to open the console. (Great answer Bob , but some do not know where to find the console, I was one of those for a long time).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    To expand upon what Bob wrote, find the Java console in Control Panel. Click on the Java entry to open the console. (Great answer Bob , but some do not know where to find the console, I was one of those for a long time).
    Long ago, I made a desktop shortcut to the Windows Java Console (aka, the Java Control Panel). I fished that Control Panel target out of C:/Program Files/Java/JRE6/bin File name= javacpl.exe . Create Shortcut and Send To Desktop. Now I have full access to the controls and updater directly from my desktop shortcut.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Long ago, I made a desktop shortcut to the Windows Java Console (aka, the Java Control Panel). I fished that Control Panel target out of C:/Program Files/Java/JRE6/bin File name= javacpl.exe . Create Shortcut and Send To Desktop. Now I have full access to the controls and updater directly from my desktop shortcut.
    I have similar desktop shortcuts for Sleep, Logoff, Shutdown and Restart for ease of use, but I digress for the original topic.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    In the Internet Options dialog, check the Advanced tab for sections for Sun's Java JRE and Microsoft's Java VM. What you find probably depends on exactly what versions of everything you're running (I have IE7 on WinXP, which might not be comparable).

Next, check the settings on the Security tab for the Internet Zone (or other relevant zone for the problem content). If the settings have been customized, scroll down the settings until you get to Java Permissions. I'm not sure what these do; mine is set to "High Safety."
    == Thank you for your reply and apologies for the long delay in responding but I haven't had a chance to get at the machine til now. It's XP-SP3 IE8. From the browser TOOLS> iNTERNET OPTIONS> ADVANCED TAB.... scrolling down I could not find any mention of JAVA at all.

== Under the SECURITY TAB> CUSTOM LEVEL... scrolling down to the Scripting Section, "Scripting of Java Applets" was checked enabled (if that is relevant). I could not find "Java Permissions".

== An additional question: Could lack of JAVA cause minor graphic problems on some (not all) sites?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    == Thanks for your reply. The change was made through the browser (IE8, XP-SP3). You state that "The IE Java controls (through the browser) are many and do different things." But the only mention of Java I could find via the browser was under the SECURITY Tab> CUSTOM LEVEL... scrolling down to the Scripting Section.... "Scripting of Java Applets" was checked "enabled". [See my reply to JSCHER2000 above] Unfortunately, since I am not familiar with Java at all, all I could do was to look for the term "Java." Is there other terminology that applies to Java?

== And does the fact that "Scripting of Java Applets" was checked "enabled" mean that Java is working?

== In addition, I could find no reference at all to "Java Script".

== I haven't yet looked at the Java Console in CONTROL PANEL.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    == Thanks for the tip, Ted. I'm about to have a peek at it now.

== LATER: I just checked and could not find the Java coffee cup icon so could not open the Java Console.. I went to java.com (which I assume is SUN) where it says that if the coffee cup icon does not appear in the CONTROL PANEL it means that I do not have the latest version of Java.

I went to ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS to see what the version of Java is, and discovered that there is no Java program at all. I don't know if my co-worker removed the program because I cannot get in touch with him at the moment.

I went back to java.com and installed Version 6, update 20. Should I set the updating to 1. before downloading or 2. before installing. There were some "issues" listed on the java.com site so I'd prefer to be cautious.

The minor graphic problems on various sites that I mentioned earlier have not disappeared, but I guess that problem is for another thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthebear View Post
    I went back to java.com and installed Version 6, update 20. Should I set the updating to 1. before downloading or 2. before installing. There were some "issues" listed on the java.com site so I'd prefer to be cautious.
    I have mine set to "Before downloading" but I think either would be fine. It is going to get your confirmation either way.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    == I mentioned in my original post that there were minor problems viewing some sites. And fixing JAVA did not make any difference in solving that problem. To elaborate, the problem was that minor bits of graphics were, and still are omitted from certain sites. This morning I found a larger omission -- the space where the Google logo appears is blank. I rebooted to no effect. What could be causing these graphics not to appear?

== Thanks to all who replied.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthebear View Post
    == I mentioned in my original post that there were minor problems viewing some sites. And fixing JAVA did not make any difference in solving that problem. To elaborate, the problem was that minor bits of graphics were, and still are omitted from certain sites. This morning I found a larger omission -- the space where the Google logo appears is blank. I rebooted to no effect. What could be causing these graphics not to appear?

== Thanks to all who replied.
    I saw another post that recently had the same Google Logo disappear. I wonder if Google is having a problem. Their problem has not been solved yet.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I saw another post that recently had the same Google Logo disappear. I wonder if Google is having a problem. Their problem has not been solved yet.
    == Thanks, Ted, for your tip in my other thread about the missing Google logo on their main page -- which I'll follow up. Unfortunately, asking around, I could not find anyone else with the same problem, so I'm assuming it's a problem with my machine. Thanks for your input.