Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 3 shortcuts that point to folders on a windows 2000 server that each have approx 2500-4500 documents (word perfect and word).

When I double click on these shortcuts, I get the flashlight moving side-to-side for approx 10-15 seconds before the contents are displayed.

Accessing the same folders from other Win XP home, Win XP Pro or Win 2000 machines does not result in this delay, the folders open up as fast as a local folder.

In my troubleshooting, I assumed that the problem is with my laptop.

Specs: Win XP SP3, 2 GB RAM, 90 GB free on hard drive.
    Indexing service is off
    No mapped drives
    No shared drives
    Automatically search for network folders and printers is unchecked

The machine is error free, the event logs show no errors (an occasional yellow entry) but I can sometimes go 3-days without a single yellow or red entry in any event log. Connection to the server is thru a 100 Mbps wired connection via a 24-port switch.

Drive has no errors, chkdsk, defrag, ccleaner run regularly.

This started a few weeks ago, but I cannot correlate it with any event such as installing new software etc. Nothing new has been installed on this machine for many months (except for windows, antivirus and other application updates).

Appreciate any tips.
    Thanks,
    Jay

Thanks
    Just curious to know,how old is your laptop?
    Might want to check for some updates on your drivers.Just a thought.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    The laptop is approx 2 years old, Fujitsu Intel Core Duo T2450 @ 2.0 Ghz. All drivers are up to date and again, this problem started only about 2 weeks ago.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LA-Jay View Post
    This started a few weeks ago, but I cannot correlate it with any event such as installing new software etc. Nothing new has been installed on this machine for many months (except for windows, antivirus and other application updates).
    What are the anti-virus/firewall applications installed on the machine?

Also have you checked what Windows Updates have been applied to the machine in the past month?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Symantec Endpoint Protection is the anti virus, anti spyware etc. which has been on this machine for over 1 year. I disabled it and the problem did not go away, Msft updates have been installed as they are released, so at this point unless I start uninstalling them one by one, there is no way to tell if Msft is the culprit.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you experience this slow down browsing to other shares on the server i.e. ones with considerable less files/sub folders?

My feeling is that it could possibly be a recent content addition to your folders causing the slow down. There are quite a few objects in those folders so I would suggest you use Sysinternals Process Monitor to review the before-during-after processes to attempt to identify where the timeout/slow down is occurring.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx

Lounger
    Thanks
    Browsing to other shares with less files is no problem, thanks for your suggestions.