3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Need a little help using the eyedropper tool in PS CS3.

How does one eye dropper select a color in one piece of clip-art and transfer to an area in another piece of clip-art (both on same layer)?
    Do you need to select the target area using the magic wand or some other tool?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Richard Spring

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You do not need to select anything - the eyedropper will grab the color of the pixel under the cursor, or take the average of the pixels within a 3x3 or 5x3 square centered at the cursor (depending on your sample size). Note that all that the eyedropper does is select the foreground color.

Now to "paint" the target area, you can either select the area and then use the paint bucket to fill it, or you can use the paint bucket with the proper tolerance settings. And there are about a hundred other ways to apply that color - sometimes you just have to experiment to see what works the best and gives you the result you want.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Peter:

Not exactly sure what you mean by "use the paint bucket with the proper tolerance settings". Where are the setting controls and how does one use them?
    I will play with it to see if I can figure it out.
    Richard Spring

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you select the paint bucket tool, look at the tool bar - it will contain paint bucket settings, one of them being tolerance. The tolerance setting determines how much variability the paint bucket will allow when painting. A tolerance setting of 0 means that the paint bucket will overwrite only the exact color on which you click. And by exact, I mean exact - no variations allowed. This often works great for clip art that if painted with solid colors, but does not work well with, for example, photos where there is subtle variation within a given color. By increasing the tolerance, you allow the more of the subtle variations to be included.

Trying it out for yourself is one of the best ways to learn this feature. Set the tolerance to 0 and see what happens when you click on an area in your picture. Try it with several different pictures (pick a clipart that uses solid colors, or create something yourself it doesn't have to be fancy, lines and boxes will do, and pick a photo). Then undo all of that and try again, this time with a tolerance of 16, then again with 32, then 64 the 80 the 96. Note that as you increase the tolerance, more and more of the picture gets colored by the paint bucket.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Peter.

I was successful in using the eye dropper - paint bucket combination.

Now I will go back and experiment using the tolerance method.

Sound like many variations are possible.
    Richard Spring