Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 32-bit Windows 7 setup. I have an Epson R1800 printer. It takes absolutely forever to print. Every step is a couple minutes (print preferences, print preview, etc., start of printing). But it prints fine eventually. Does not matter which application I print from (Photoshop Elements, Word in Office 7, you name it).

I have a dual boot PC with Vista 32 still installed. If I reboot into Vista, everything is immediate.

So, as an experiment, I installed Vista 32 inside a Virtual Box on the Windows 7 system. I can print with immediate response from there. Same drivers, same applications. I do run out of resources periodically, so that is not a viable long-term approach.

My wifes PC is also Windows 7, but very old hardware and slow. If I share my R1800 and she uses it, the printing is speedy!

All my drivers are current. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled. The device manager shows no problems. The task manager shows all the CPU time going to the application trying to print. Im at a loss. Any suggestions?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried connecting the printer to your wife's machine directly to check if the issue is machine specific?

I found this article on Epson's site and it is rather bland

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...2&subcat=30928

When you say you have uninstalled/re-installed the printer driver are you using this version? Printer Driver v6.5cAs (32 or 64bit?)

Also when you are uninstalling make sure the driver is actually getting removed completely. Check this by looking at Printer Management,

Start-->Search-->Type in printmanagement.msc

Let us know how you go and we can assist you further

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had run across that Epson article too. Really helpful ! Just for the record tho: 1) I am using that driver (32 bit of course), 2) I have a completely defragged disk (MyDefrag) with 500+ GB free, 3) prints of 3 characters from Word are slow too.

I did more experiments as a result of your question about putting it on my Wife's PC. I connected directly to my wife's PC and installed that same driver. It runs quickly when directly connected. I then connected across the network from my PC to it and I get the same slow response I get when the printer is directly connected to mine. That is more evidence that it has nothing to do with my USB ports (I had tested it on a couple different USB ports on my PC without any change in response). It sure is PC specific tho. It has to be some sort of setup issue, but I'm baffled.
    "
    I have no success trying to run printmanagement.msc. Says "MMC could not create the snap-in." I did use the server properties to remove the queues and all the drivers for the Epson. Then installed ONLY the correct driver (not the Windows 7 default). No difference.

I did go to the print server properties and change all the Epson R1800 driver exe's to Vista Service Pack 2 compatibility. Made no difference.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your detailed response Larry,

32 bit drivers of course! my brain must not have been connected when typing that extra question

I'm a little confused as to why you couldn't access printermanagement.msc which version of Windows 7 do you have?

You've achieved the same thing by clearing the drivers manually as I was alluding to in my previous post. As you've pointed out it must be a system specific issue so lets look deeper.

It's time to pull out my friends from Sysinterals Suite,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb842062.aspx

Process Explorer (procexp.exe) & Process Monitor (procmon.exe)

I'd recommend using Process Explorer first and if you are able to identify the CPU culprit and or its subsystem then that is a major step. If you aren't able to solve the issue then and there we'll have to use Processmon to view what is happening just before you print and during the print that's causing the issue.

Let us know how you go

P.S. My guess would be that there is another piece of software interfering whether it be memory resident or a loaded DLL driver etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I appreciate your help Josh. Thanks.

Anyway, Process Explorer shows the time going to the printing process (e.g. Word). I have reinstalled Process Monitor and captured the events in a log (filtered for Word only). I was really surprised to see over 13,000 events in just selecting the Epson for print. That took 45 seconds.

I attempted to attach the log file just in case that is what you want to look at. Was unable to do so (it tried to upload, then it cleared my selection and complained that no file was selected for upload). Analyzing this is not something I've ever done, so not sure where to go from here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Engles View Post
    I attempted to attach the log file just in case that is what you want to look at. Was unable to do so
    Just a quick reply this time I'll look further into it once we have the tracelog.

Did you compress the trace file to zip format before uploading? the native PML format might not be accepted by the forum software used here. If you didn't, right click on the file > Send to > Compressed folder (zip) and retry.

Also to note: (Max. single file size: 2MB)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course I should have zipped it! Head slapper! It would have been nice if a reason would have been given for the failed upload. Oh well. Here it is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the Processmon log file Larry,

The first thing that stood out at me is this,

Code:
    F:\ProgramData\EPSON\PRINTER\EPAUDF01.AUD
    This particular file gets a huge amount of "WriteFile" time, please locate this file as I'm interested to know it's size? (approx 30Mb?)

Please rename/delete this file and restart the Print Spooler then attempt to print again.

If this does not help you we'll move on as I'll ask you these questions,

- Are there any other printers/printer-drivers on the system apart from the stock standard ones provided in Windows 7?
    - Have you tried changing the following setting: Printer Properties > Advanced > "Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster" to "Print directly to the printer"

Best of luck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You nailed it! That was a 30MB file. When recreated, it was 2 KB! I've rebooted and printed a couple times to make sure the fix sticks - and it has.

I opened the 30 MB file in Notepad. From what I could see, it was repeating exactly the same little snippet of info over and over and over.

I cannot thank you enough!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great results Larry!

Hopefully it isn't a re-occurring issue and just a once off bug

Thank you for sticking with it and letting us troubleshoot the issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gentlemen ... thank you!

You saved my life with this post. I had the same problem ... and your fix worked. I SO appreciate the time you took to post it!!

Cindee Berry