New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hiya

Am trying to install 7 enterprise 64bit, sys boots from dvd, starts to load then hangs when wallpaper appears, I don't even get as far being able to choose where or what type of install i want all i see is the wallpaper,mouse and keyboard are still active but nothing else appears, this is the second dvd I have tried, the first one did the same thing.

Sys details: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H, AMD Phenom x4, 4G RAM, 500G H/D Partitioned into three drives, XP Pro 32bit on C:, nothing on E: data storage on F:

rgds
    Sybex

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Is this an upgrade? A clean install? Have you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Its a clean install, win 7 advisor states that sys meets all sys requirements, btw the Win 7 RC installed and ran beautifully on this machine.

Rgds
    Syb

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybex View Post
    Its a clean install, win 7 advisor states that sys meets all sys requirements, btw the Win 7 RC installed and ran beautifully on this machine.
    If the DVDs are something you burned from an ISO. YOU may need to download the ISO again. It could be corrupted.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hiya,

No i didn't burn or download the ISO myself, they are enterprise versions obtained under our volume license agreement from our usual supplier (Insight), guess I will go back to them again and tell them that the replacement DVD is faulty as well.

It just seemed unusual to get two faulty DVD's in a row, the last bad disk i got was way back when I got a bad server 2003 disk where if you changed countries during install, the install failed, you could change it afterward tho LOL.

thanks anyway

Rgds
    Syb

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybex View Post
    No i didn't burn or download the ISO myself, they are enterprise versions obtained under our volume license agreement from our usual supplier (Insight), guess I will go back to them again and tell them that the replacement DVD is faulty as well.

It just seemed unusual to get two faulty DVD's in a row, the last bad disk i got was way back when I got a bad server 2003 disk where if you changed countries during install, the install failed, you could change it afterward tho LOL.
    It does seem rather unusual to get two bad DVDs from a supplier. Have you changed any hardware since you had the Win7 RC installed?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Does the original HD have a recovery partition? I might try a different approach. I'm wondering if something in the recovery partition is preventing a good install. I might try a 3rd party paritioning app such as Partition Wizard to recover the recovery partition and merge it with the main partition, then format the entire HD prior to Clean Installing the Win 7 S/W. I upgraded 5 seperate PC's, 3 of which had the RC installed including one with a dual boot setup, and had no problems such as you are describing. I did repartition all to recover the recovery partition. 4 of the 5 are 64 Bit as well, one an Ultimate, the others Home Premium.

If the system is hosed to start, you might have to use the recovery partition to recover the original OS prior to following my suggestion above. This should not cost you too much time. Good luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can use a Win 7 Dvd to wipe all partitions including linux and setup partitions as you like but you said you're not getting there.
    This might need some drivers for HD or something which you can put on a usb stick. They have to be extracted where the .inf are showing

Sybex
    If you have a floppy or usb stick put this .cmd file on it and boot again. When it hangs hit [Shift] and [F10] together and it brings up command prompt and CD to the usb and type state
    will copy several files and folders and from there you can diagnose whats wrong. attach the setupact.log from Panther Folder or put somewhere I can download
    It might not be far enough along for this but worth a shot

save as state.cmd
    Code:
    Color 0A
    cd /d %~dp0
    @ECHO OFF
    robocopy %systemroot%\Panther /MIR %~dp0$Panther
    robocopy %systemroot%\System32\sysprep /MIR %~dp0$sysprep
    robocopy %WINDIR%\Setup\State\State.ini /MIR %~dp0$State.ini
    ECHO.
    Pause
    Exit