New Lounger
    Fly-over Zone, USA
    Just purchased HP Pavilion with Windows7 Home. Have been using Firefox on other 2 systems (xp), but use Outlook Express. Windows 7 comes with no mail reader and am questioning if should make move to Thunderbird. Too, just purchased a Zune and appears to require a Windows Live ID (available if sign up for Hotmail?).

Have no problems using gmail or yahoo mail accounts, but am seeking advice on new mail reader and the Windows Live ID (which is totally confusing to me).

I do not use Messenger (or any other IM clients) and these "Essentials" programs offered by Microsoft -- Windows Live Mail, Live Messenger, Live Writer, etc. -- just do not appear very attractive given some of the other third-party programs available for Windows.

Wife uses Mac Snow Leopard and iTunes.

California & Arizona
    Windows Live Mail is very similar to OE & can be used with Gmail or Yahoo.
    Of course you can use whatever email client you choose.
    Thunderbird would be a decent choice too. I recomend you gather together the documentation of any prosepective client and go over it thoroughly to gain a better understanding. This will make deciding easier.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.