New Lounger
    Thanks
    going to get laptop with win7 installed. already own win7 upgrade. will i be able to install the "upgrade" on top of oem? want to have full control in case of future problems, reinstall, etc. tia.

Thanks
    I guess it depends on the versions of Win 7 the new laptaop has and the upgrade you already own. Different versions or 32 Bit to 64 Bit and vice versa require Clean Installs. If the new laptop already has Win 7, create a system restore disk and a system image of the OS (after you have removed all the garbage the manufacturer has seen fit to install for you) then you will have a back up to reinstall the OS if disaster strikes. Then you can use the Win 7 upgrade for something else. Why waste it on a new PC where you can get back to new by other means!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    win7 versions are the same. it is much easier recovering from a disaster if you have the retail version cd rather than an oem restore point.

Thanks
    Hi michaels,

What Ted is referring to is an Image Backup, not simply a restore point. Your OEM version of Windows 7 will be fine with an image backup using Windows Backup or a third party imaging software package such as Macrium Reflect or Paragon, both of which have a free version.

Try it, you'll like it!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi michaels,

What Ted is referring to is an Image Backup, not simply a restore point. Your OEM version of Windows 7 will be fine with an image backup using Windows Backup or a third party imaging software package such as Macrium Reflect or Paragon, both of which have a free version.

Try it, you'll like it!
    Thanks Gerald. I chose Acronis True Image Home 2010 for my back up app. It does have a free to try edition. For some reason Macrium did not suit me. For the life of me I do not remember why. Guess I'm getting old.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the replies. i am aware of backups and always have at least one bootable backup hard drive. i still would like to know if i can install a legal win7 upgrade on top of an oem without activation problems. it is the way i would like to do it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michaels View Post
    thanks for the replies. i am aware of backups and always have at least one bootable backup hard drive. i still would like to know if i can install a legal win7 upgrade on top of an oem without activation problems. it is the way i would like to do it.
    If you are going to replace your OEM with your Win7 upgrade disk, then I would boot from the DVD and choose "Custom Install". Doing a custom install will work no matter what the two versions of Win7 are, and you will be able to start with a fresh installation of Windows 7. You should have no problem in activating your upgrade Custom install.

Your old OEM Win7 installation will be moved to a folder named Windows.old, and you can delete that folder after you copy any of your user files out to your new Win 7 installation.

I would make a backup of all my user files before doing the Custom install (or any other type of upgrade).
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michaels View Post
    You can do it as long as that Windows 7 copy you have is not tied to another computer.
    (previously used and installed and tied to another computer's hardware)
    I would clean install it too, otherwise what would be the point of an upgrade installation over a preserved OEM versions junkware.
    Even if you kept the OEM, you could still use the W7 DVD for restoration purposes.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you gerald and clint!

Thanks
    I guess the point we have all tried to make is Yes you can do what your are proposing, but why waste a copy of Win 7 you have already purchased (the OEM copy). By using apps such as PC Decrapifier and a variety of other methods you can make your OEM s/w almost exactly like a virgin MS Win 7 DVD. Then the image you make would work identically as the retail Win 7 upgrade disk you have. Then perhaps you could find someone you know in need and let them use the upgrade disk to upgrade their system as well, or a volunteer organization that could use but can not afford the upgrade. There are so many uses for that disk that would not seem to be such a waste of a perfectly good option.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fresh Install much better than any software on the planet

How about just backup the items you need to make that fresh install still OEM. OEM activate much easier than retail and I don't know if theres a 7 count on number of activations like XP, after that you have to call them and type in codes to activate.

If you're interested in backing up the 3 key elements to restore the OEM activation let me know.