3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have owned PCs since Windows 95, and have never understood what all those things are in the various Microsoft files.
    Is there anywhere on this site, or other place where one can find out what each thing does??? Seems to me that I should be
    able to disable stuff I will never need without compromising the stuff I do use, and hopefully speed up my computer, rather
    than having a million bits of information floating around in the "background".slowing things down......Does this information exist anywhere?
    thanks for the help : wub:

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Black Viper can be used to optimize the services running in the background that you may have no need for.

Thanks
    Google or Bing are decent search engines. Search engines are your friend....

troubleshooting+windows 7+startup

eliminate+windows 7+startup

Optimize+windows 7+startup

Notice the plus signs?

Some of the best things you could do are to avoid programs that are resource and startup hogs in favor
    of those that are more resource friendly. Minimize browser add on junk.
    JVPower tools 2009 has a decent interface that will show an extensive start up list of os related files.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The best thing to do is still have to do it manually. Go to Run & typed msconfig & enter. Click Startup & a whole list of startup programs appears. The thumb of rule is if you don't know what this means, do not delete or unchecked. Unchecked all those you don't need them to start when Windows start. Things like Search engines, adobe acrobat speedup, anything to do with websites, home theatre link, soundman, etc All these will appear on your taskbar on the right side. If your system is not always online, you can unchecked the antivirus & anti spyware too because they slow down the system a lot but remember to enable them before you go online.
    The best way to increase your system's performance is to do Disk cleanup & defrag your hard disk regularly. For disk cleanup, open My Computer. Right click your C drive & click Properties & click disk cleanup. Check all items & click ok. If this is the first time doing this, it will take quite a long time depending on your partition size. If it's done weekly, it will be very fast. As for defrag you can use the Windows defrag tool. Right click C drive & click Properties/Tools & click defrag now. There's a few defrag programs that are freeware. I like the 'Defraggler' from Piriform. I forgot the website but go to cnet.com & search for 'defraggler'
    My system have 5 hard disks totalling 5.5Tb with 17 partitions ranging from 150Gb to 400Gb. I defrag them manually once a week without fail but my Diskeeper software can handle 4 partitions at a time. I did not install antivirus on my system because it's never online. I used another PC for surfing.
    Intel CoreI7 P55/ 8Gb 1600 RAM DDR3/ NV GTS 570 1Gb PCIe/ HDD X 3 = 6TB/SSD x 1 128GB/ BDRW X 2/DVDRW x 2/ Corsiar 850W PSU & running on Win10 Pro 64bit