New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hope someone can help. Wife has an Hp pavillion with XP Pro with SP2, and with suposedly 1 gig of ram and an Athlon 64 3400+ processor. I had read in one of the Windows Secrets newsletters about having to turn off a certain part of the chipset in order to install XP SP3. So, the question is how much ram do you need to install SP3 (downloaded using Microsoft update-file is about 66 meg) and do you need to turn off that part of the chipset in order to install. I keep her PC update with all security updates and any special updates that MS puts out. She not techecially inclinde and is afraid of messing up her PC. And I better not mess up or I will never hear the end of it.

Thanks
    I'm not aware of having to mess with any chipset driver prior to installing XP-SP3.
    One GB of RAM is sufficient to accomplish the task.
    If you are concerned about potential problems with an up and coming service pack install, I would highly
    recommend that you create an image backup and ensure that it is verifiably usable.

The best and safest way to install a service pack, especially SP3 is to do it as part of a clean install
    ontop of a fresh XP installation. This helps to ensure that there are no software or driver conflicts.

The second best way to install the service pack in question would be to disable system intrusive firewall
    and antivirus programs, or any 3rd party programs that sit in the backgrownd and monitors system or files.
    Rational: Less software interference the better.
    Hardware: Complex system setups with multiple external hard drives and or networked drives should be
    disabled and or disconnected prior to the service pack upgrade...unless you know your system setup and are confident
    in your own knowledge regarding your specific situation.

The vast majority of problems associated with the SP3 upgrade are software conflicts and systems that
    are of questionable stability prior to the upgrade.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From the HP web site:

CAUTION: If you have an HP Pavilion, HP Media Center or Compaq Presario desktop computer that has an AMD processor, your PC might encounter a startup problem after installing SP3 (or SP3 will not download from Windows Update). Before attempting to install SP3, install sp37394 - Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors .

Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors.

Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility prevents continuous system restarts or "Stop: 0x0000007E" errors after upgrading to Windows XP SP3 on systems with AMD processors.

File name: sp37394.exe [1/1, 1.85M]
    # System requirements: You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.
    # You must own an HP Pavilion, Presario or Media Center with Windows XP and an AMD processor.
    # You must install this update prior to applying Windows XP SP3 update.
    Released: 2008-05-19
    Version: 1.0
    Compatibility: Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Media Center, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Fix/Enhancement: Prevents a condition from occurring that causes continuous system restarts or "Stop: 0x0000007E" errors after upgrading to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 on systems with an AMD processor.

Example: "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...

As to the memory question, I have installed SP3 on XP Pro configurations with only 512MB of memory. 1GB should be sufficient.