Thanks
    I have little doubt that there are those on this board that will readily tell you that I am a bit whacky, and that I express this through hacking around on my Puter. This may well be true.

One of these tinkerings was to ind a way to change the Windows startup sound in WIndows 7. This used to be easily done through the Control Panel, but was eliminated for God only knows why.

Well, if anyone besides me wants to do it, here's how:

The link below will take you to a site with instructions. The are as follows:

• select an audio file of your choice and make sure you convert it to a wave file not just wav

• rename it 5080 if you are using English version of windows 7 united states language,so your audio file should be 5080.wave .(DON'T MAKE YOUR WAVE FILE MORE THEN 330 KB AS I'M NOT SURE HOW BIG IT CAN BE )

• copy (imageres.dll ) file you will find this c/windows/system32 and save to desktop also make a copy of it and put it in a safe place just in-case things don't go right for you.
    • select resource in XN Resource Editor then select import user resource find your file we made named 5080 and save and then exit now replace the imageres.dll file that you have made into c/windows/system32 and your good to go reboot enjoy. i have tried other ways and they didn't work for me i just played around with things and this is what worked for me
    YOU MUST DO THIS IN SAFE MODE OR IF YOU HAVE A DUAL BOOT USING XP IT WILL MAKE THINGS EASY
    also make sure you un check the Play Windows start up sound before you try to change it ....

Two mods I found necessary: you do need some type of dual boot (I used Bart PE). I couldn't get past the security on the file without it.

Also, where it calls for inputting 5051,. I found that, for Windows 7, it is "5080" that is needed.

That's all there i9s, and it does in fact work.

Have fune!

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Your not alone...
    Changing the default windows startup and shutdown sounds are among my very first user setting preference tweaks.
    (Hate the default start and shutdown sounds)

Another way to do it is to just go to the Control Panel>>Sound, change the sound to another one located on the list.
    The folder for the sounds are located at; C:\Windows\Media (Windows 7).
    This folder doesn't appear to require any special permissions beyond that of admin. It may be possible to simply add a
    recorded sound in the same file format as the others in the folder (Microsoft Wave Sound Format (.wav)).
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Clint:

I was and am unable to find the Start sound in the Control Panel -- Exit,, yes, startup no. Log on, yes, startup, no.

Maybe it's just me...

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Hey Chuck,

Nothing wacky about wanting Windows your way! There are plenty of sounds more pleasant to hear than the defaults all the time.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hey Chuck,

Nothing wacky about wanting Windows your way! There are plenty of sounds more pleasant to hear than the defaults all the time.
    Truly Gerald.

It just bugged me that they removed that option I suppose.

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Open up the Control panel, go to Hardware & Sound, ...then 3rd down under Autoplay.
    or
    Have control Panel display as menu; Right click on the start orb, go to properties, scroll down and choose
    the Control Panel option; "Display as menu".

It's still there baby
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Open up the Control panel, go to Hardware & Sound, ...then 3rd down under Autoplay.
    or
    Have control Panel display as menu; Right click on the start orb, go to properties, scroll down and choose
    the Control Panel option; "Display as menu".

It's still there baby
    Clint:

AutoPlay is the second down, and if you are speaking about the Sound Screen as shown, there ain't no Windows Start Sound there that I can see.

CB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Browse the "media" folder, it's near the bottom.
    It's not listed in my scroll box either, but it was before I changed it to something else early on.
    Try resetting to default and unchecking, close, open and recheck "play
    windows startup sounds".
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    After some checking it would appear that there is no startup sound as you mentioned, infact everything
    but that.
    I have my system setup to logon, that in itself may have led to the change. Awhile back I was running full admin
    without a logon password and was able to get to the "startup" sound and change it. But it has since disappeared,
    and appears to have been replaced by the "logon" sound.

Someone want to verify this?
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Verified; there is no way in the control panel to change the startup sound other than to remove it
    by removing the check box from "play windows startup sounds".

My mistake.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    After some checking it would appear that there is no startup sound as you mentioned, infact everything
    but that.
    I have my system setup to logon, that in itself may have led to the change. Awhile back I was running full admin
    without a logon password and was able to get to the "startup" sound and change it. But it has since disappeared,
    and appears to have been replaced by the "logon" sound.

Someone want to verify this?
    Clint, give the process I posted a crack... It's fairly painless, takes but a couple minutes, and does in fact work.

Chuck