Thread: win xp

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey everyone i am new to the lounge and this is my first tread. but have been reading it for a long time .
    Is there any way that i can get my xp checked on line??
    Had a maleware in the laptop that i finnaly found and got rid of thanks to the lounge i installed malewarebytes and that program found it.
    But i have had a lot of problems with the pc before that.
    But its an old hag and the dvd drive doesnt work properly so i can not run the cd. Its a genuine xp but reinstalled after i changed the hard drive.
    Using the pc everyday for music in the bar so i dont really want to reinstall xp again.Can i download xp from internet and put it on a memory stick and check ore fix xp from that??

btw If its ok i give you the maleware report.

Freddie

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3983

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

4/13/2010 2:10:57 PM
    mbam-log-2010-04-13 (14-10-57).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
    Objects scanned: 127108
    Time elapsed: 28 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 1
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 1
    Folders Infected: 2
    Files Infected: 11

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{d08d9f98-1c78-4704-87e6-368b0023d831} (Adware.RelevantKnowledge) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSMHelp (Hijack.Help) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:
    C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\RelevantKnowledge (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:
    C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge\MSVCP71.DLL (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge\MSVCR71.DLL (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge\rlls64.dll (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge\rloci.bin (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge\rlservice.exe (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge\rlvknlg.exe (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Program Files\RelevantKnowledge\rlvknlg64.exe (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\RelevantKnowledge\About RelevantKnowledge.lnk (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\RelevantKnowledge\Privacy Policy and User License Agreement.lnk (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\RelevantKnowledge\Support.lnk (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\RelevantKnowledge\Uninstall Instructions.lnk (Spyware.MarketScore) -> No action taken.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Yan can go to any of the major anti-virus vendor sites and do a free scan online. See HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA, Free Virus Protection, Free Virus Scan | FreeScan | McAfee, & Free Antivirus Protection - Free Anti-virus Software for example.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    And no, you can't download XP legally from the internet.
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office

Thanks
    Using the pc everyday for music in the bar so i dont really want to reinstall xp again.Can i download xp from internet and put it on a memory stick and check ore fix xp from that??
    You will need to utilize another XP machine for this and have your genuine os disk handy, but getting XP onto a USB
    drive and doing a non destructive non reformat fix, should help you rebuild/repair your os without the actual clean install.
    Although it would be far more preferable to do this from a working CD/DVD drive. If you could swap out the drive
    you can eliminate the USB option quite easily and not spend as much time on this as a whole.

Look through these articles carefully...

Langa Letter: XP On Your Thumb Drive

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option

There's also no guarantee this would fix anything, a clean install would be the best way to go.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Here's a suggestion: Get a USB external CD drive (they're cheap). And if you don't already have an external hard drive, get one of those too (also cheap). Do an image backup to the hard drive using Acronis True Image or your favorite image backup (or cloning) software. Then doing a full reinstall shouldn't be too much of a risk. You could also just back up your data to the hard drive and save a little space. When restoring, only restore your files, not your system. You will still have to reinstall any third-party programs, but your data will be safe.

A Repair is also possible from a genuine install disk (not OEM) using the Repair Console from the install disk. (It doesn't have to be your own Install Disk for the Repair Console. No key codes are checked when doing repairs.)
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys

Freddie