New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a hyperlink to display a help text for certain parts of a Word document.
    Since it's not really meant as a hyperlink, the text "ctrl + click to follow link" is annoying. Word automatically adds this text however.
    Is there a way to remove this text from the help text box?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you attach a small sample document, so we can see the problem in action?

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Here's the file. To see the problem, please move the cursor over the title.

Regards, Rico Mazereeuw
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Rico,

Thanks for attaching the sample - am still not sure I can see what you described:

The document contains a few empty paragraphs, and one paragraph with some text. You've put a bookmark around that text, and set the text as a hyperlink, with the target being the bookmark around the text - so if you click on the text, it keeps you in the same spot. Am not sure what the purpose of doing this is - is this done to display help text?

But when I put my cursor over the text, I don't see any help text, nor do I see the "Ctl+Click" to follow link prompt - does the prompt only appear for you when you hover over the hyperlinked text?
    How are you setting up the help text?

One setting you could try changing, in any case:
    In Tools > Options > Edit, try turning on or off the checkmark next to "Use CTRL + click to follow hyperlink", and see if that makes any difference.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Garry,

Yes, it is done to display help text like in web pages.
    The help text is only meant for the hyperlinked text, and should help a user as to what he/she should type below the hyperlinked text.
    I've tried to change the options in Tools>Options>Edit. Then another text is being displayed.

Regards, Rico

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Rico,

The 'Ctrl-Click to follow link' can only be changed to 'Click to follow link', depending on how you've got the 'Ctrl-Click to follow hyperlink' option set. In earlier Word versions, that message didn't appear - and it's a meaningless and confusing message to have when you're using a self-referencing hyperlink to provide in-line help.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]