New Lounger
    Thanks
    Been using Windows 7 Ultimate for a long time, and recently my CPU Useage meter indicates anywhere from 17 to 22 percent when computer is idle. Any ideas for resolving? Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You'll need to find out what process is eating up the CPU. Open Task Manager, click the check box to show processes from all users, then click the CPU column to sort by highest CPU utilization. The more the System Idle Process uses the better. But you'll quickly see what else is currently using the processor. Sometimes Task Manger will show high utilization for a few seconds. Wait for it to settle down. Its very likely that your A/V software is running constant scans that are eating processor time. If you are unsure about what something is, then maximize Task Manager, in another column it will give a description of the process. Once you find this info out, you can start to make some decisions about what to do, if anything.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck De La Rosa View Post
    You'll need to find out what process is eating up the CPU. Open Task Manager, click the check box to show processes from all users, then click the CPU column to sort by highest CPU utilization. The more the System Idle Process uses the better. But you'll quickly see what else is currently using the processor. Sometimes Task Manger will show high utilization for a few seconds. Wait for it to settle down. Its very likely that your A/V software is running constant scans that are eating processor time. If you are unsure about what something is, then maximize Task Manager, in another column it will give a description of the process. Once you find this info out, you can start to make some decisions about what to do, if anything.

Hey Chuck, thanks for the info. I'll give it shot. I tried a number of things like reinstalling and slowly adding my other prm. It came up while I was reading my emails in Outlook 2010.
    Win7g

Thanks
    Does the Outlook icon in the system tray change whilst you experience this?

I have noticed it changing and if I hover the mouse over it the tooltip says "Microsoft Outlook is synchronising folders" which could explain the background CPU usage.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What gadgets to you have on your screen? Some gadgets consume conspicuous amounts of CPU cycles, especially "status" gadgets that report processor, network or other utilization.

Another possibility - if this is a recent Win7 install, then the indexer could be scanning files and building the index. This should correct itself once the index is complete.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Highly recommend Process Explorer from Sysinternals (Free!). It will show much more detail on the processes running. You can download it from Microsoft, just google Process Explorer Sysinternals and it should be the first hit!

Cheers,

Nathan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Process explorer is a great tools for technicians. I use it a lot at work. But for the average user, even a fairly tech savvy one, it can be overwhelming to use. Not only too much info, but knowing how to filter and decipher what's there.
    Chuck