Lounger
    Thanks
    Win XP (SP3) hangs on boot. Three little blue boxes appear then nothing. No disk activity, Nada. Can boot into Safe mode (with or without networking) with no problem. Comes up fine. Tried the boot log approach, but the bootlog.dat file is not a notepad file. I thought the boot log was in C:\ and not the Windows folder. Chkdsk runs okay and is clean in Safe Mode. System is only about 6 months old.

What is the best way to find out where it is hanging on booting, in normal mode?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    When a system boots in safe mode but not normal mode that is often a sign of a driver problem. Have you updates any drivers recently? Have you added or changed hardware recently?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Not according to the user. It just quit booting, so the brought it to me. I will try to see what updates may have been put on. It also doesn't boot 'going back to last known working configuration' either.

What option do I have to use to get it to make a log (text) file as it boots up, so I can see what the last driver loaded would be? Obviously, I am not doing it right.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See the first four or five threads at troubleshoot xp boot - Bing for more detailed information on troubleshooting.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Update on the problem. One other thing I noticed was that I have a working Live-CD (a Linux dist) that I have used many times. I tried to boot that CD, and it gets to the point where the graphic interface is showing the orange boxes passing below Ubuntu, and hangs up. This was clearly a hardware issue. Replaced RAM, hard drive, and still not booting. Replaced motherboard, and voila! Happiness in Houston. Put old drive back in, and OS boots with no problem.

Thanks for the help. Just thought I'd update the thread and let everyone know.

Thanks
    As you have found, quite often these type of failures are related to connection problems. As you were unplugging/replugging the MB you probably fixed the underlying problem by reconnecting something. I would also keep watch for possible heat related problems. Was the interior particularly dirty? Often fans get clogged and are not as effective, heat builds up and causess problems. Keep an eye on both.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Sysinternals has a program that logs the boot, Process Monitor.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office