5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. I have just started to use Word 2007 and have, so far, been able to figure out most of the differences and changes from the 2003 version, but there is one thing (and I am sure there will be more) that continues to elude me and that is how to Word Wrap in a table cell. I found some "table things" that had a selection to be checked for Word Wrap and I checked it, but this still did not implement the word-wrapping I am used to from the previous versions. Can anyone shed any light on how to make this work properly.

2. Is there anyway to make the Word 2007 interface look like the older 2003 interface with menus and drop-down menus, etc.?

3. I have a bunch of preset and custom formats/styles. Everytime I make a change in a document to one of these formats, Word creates a new format, for example: I have a List format/style and I want to make this list so that the first part is a date followed by a comment and I want to make the date BOLD, e.g.,

January 27, 2010: Make sure that car tires are inflated properly.
    February 14, 2010: Don't forget Valentine's day.

ETC., ETC.

If I do this, then Word creates a new format called List + Bold. Is there a way to turn this "feature" off so that I can still make parts of a sentence/phrase, etc., Bold, Italics or something else and not have Word create a new format every time I make a minor, usually one-time change in an existing style?

Any help, insight, etc., that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Ron.

1. Can you clarify what you're seeing when you type text in a table cell? By default, text will wrap in a Word table cell, without your having to change any settings.

2. There are a number of third-party tools available that do this. I haven't tried any, so can't vouch for any of them, but here are a couple that came up with a little searching:
    http://office.grifir.com/
    and
    http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/

3. In Word 2003, you can make these additional style names appear by going to Tools > Options > Edit, and putting a checkmark next to "Keep track of formatting". It appears in Word 2007, you need to change two settings to make them appear - check these settings, and turn them off if you have them turned on:
    (1) Office button > Word options > Advanced > Keep track of formatting.
    (2) Make the Styles pane visible, and click on the blue Options link toward the bottom right corner. In the Style Pane Options dialog, under "Select formatting to show as styles", checkmark next to 'Font formatting'.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    1. I'm not sure what you mean since the text in Word table cells wraps by default.

2. There are add-ons from third parties that may do what you want. It might be better, though to learn the new interface. You may find this add-on from MS Office Labs helpful:
    http://www.officelabs.com/projects/s.../default.aspx#.

3. They are not styles, but styles + formatting. If you don't want to see them, go to styles pane > options and clear the check boxes under "Select formatting to show as styles:"

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    2. Is there anyway to make the Word 2007 interface look like the older 2003 interface with menus and drop-down menus, etc.?
    I agree with Pam that it's best to brace yourself and embrace the 2007 interface, but I know that in the beginning there just isn't always time to hunt down what you need.

There is a button you can add to the QAT that will show custom toolbars that were built in Word 2003 (if the template holding the custom toolbars is running as a global template).

I wrote about it a bit in a thread on March 18, 2010 (this is the thread's URL: http://bro.ws/772844L </SPAN>)

I haven't heard if that QAT button trick has been tried by anyone else, but I'm still enjoying the quick access it gives me to a couple of my more obscure old buttons.

Judy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Can you clarify what you're seeing when you type text in a table cell? By default, text will wrap in a Word table cell, without your having to change any settings. from Gary.

Gary, What I see in the Table I have - it is only two columns - that as I type into the first column, words appear to "disappear" behind column two or out the end of column one. If I put a paragraph return at the end of the sentence before the line separating the two columns is reached, then things just carry on until I reach the column border again. I would cut and paste something into this reply to show you if I knew how to do it.

For Pam and Gary, thank you, I was able to "turn off" that which tracks the "format" aspect of styles.

Guys, it is not that I don't want to learn the new interface, it is just that, in my humble opinion, a lot of it is not intuitive and for the type of things I do a lot of it is redundant, e.g., I really don't need to see a whole variety of different Tables formats, not do I need all different types of formatting displayed that I will never, ever use. Another example, it took me forever to find the tab ruler so that I could setup and align various tabs in different parts of my documents. Even using the HELP (F1), didn't help very much as it (the results of the search) gives me a whole list of things that are totally irrelevant to what I am often looking for. I know - one needs to choose ones keywords better, but the previous version never gave me these kinds of headaches!!!

Judy - QAT?

Believe it or not, before I retired 10 years ago (and No I am not suffering from old-timers syndrome) I considered myself a bit of a master of this application, I mean, it was my workhorse tool, I could setup templates and documents and do outlining and all the other things that made my life easy as a management consultant, but this version, well this is another story. I find the new Excel interface a lot easier to understand than that of the Word application. Well, that is my rant for now.

To all of you, thanks very much for your suggestions and help and if you can add to it, particularly why the Table columns don't seem to wrap properly, then that will also help.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What I see in the Table I have - it is only two columns - that as I type into the first column, words appear to "disappear" behind column two or out the end of column one. If I put a paragraph return at the end of the sentence before the line separating the two columns is reached, then things just carry on until I reach the column border again. I would cut and paste something into this reply to show you if I knew how to do it.
    Ron,

This is intriguing - as far as I knew, there is no way to make text extend beyond the cell border in the way you're describing. (There is a setting in the Table Properties dialog, Cell tab, Options button, to turn off Wrap Text, but as far as I can tell, turning off the default checkmark there doesn't affect the text wrap behavior in any discernible way.)

How did you create the table? Did you by any chance create it in another application, and paste it into Word?

Could you attach a small document which contains an example of this problem - would be really interesting to be able to take a look.

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    words appear to "disappear" behind column two or out the end of column one
    Long shot -- rows set to "exactly" some height or other?

QAT?
    Yes, it's the new 2007-speak. QAT (I say "cat") is the "Quick Access Toolbar" (nothing quick about that name, is there?), and MOB (I say "mob") is the Microsoft Office Button.

The QAT is slightly customizable -- you can add commands and even macros to it. There isn't the ability to modify button pictures, tho, and not all commands even have their own icons. Still, it's worth reading up about and playing with.

And again, you can get your 2003 customizations, more or less, and even the 2003 menus, in the "Custom Toolbars" button, which can be placed on the QAT. There's a picture of what I have in my 2007 Custom Toolbars button, mostly stuff from my old 2003 normal.dot, in this thread: http://bro.ws/772844L

... 10 years ago ... I considered myself a bit of a master of this application ...
    Me too, and I go back even further -- I was a "master" of Word for DOS 2.0 in the mid-80s. Back then it was truly possible to know EVERYTHING about the program, and that was very satisfying. 2007, on the other hand, should come with a coupon for cardiologist services.

I've been in 2007 (I like how that sounds, time-warp-wise) for a few months now, and it really stressed me out at first. But I'm finally getting the feel of the ribbon, and have better hunches about where to find things. And I've only just recently "said uncle" and decided to master this beast like I'd mastered the last. The new kids at Microsoft win, I give.

But it's kind of a relief to have given in and accepted that this interface really is all we've got now (without a lot of VBA/XML tinkering); and It pays off down the line, when new versions come along, to know the history of the configuration-as-presented, don't you think, from your experience with changing versions over the years?

...before I retired 10 years ago...
    I am green with envy, re your retirement.

Judy

Thanks
    ...as I type into the first column, words appear to "disappear" behind column two or out the end of column one.
    This can occur when your paragraph right indent is set to a negative value. If you reset paragraph formatting using Ctrl+Q, does that resolve the issue, or is it part of the style definition?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pingdat View Post
    should come with a coupon for cardiologist services.

Judy
    You've got that right!!!! Rows are set to same height, but I am not sure that is the problem. I think jscher might be on the right track. I shall check this aspect out over the next few days (whoever said "I would have more spare time when I am retired" is obviously not retired LOL) and try and see if that is the problem. I shall let everyone know what I find. and if I don't find a solution, then I shall try and attach a short example for those of you who have been so kind as to offer assistance to have a look at. Thanks to all.

Cheers:

Ron M

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft also has a nice interactive tool for learning the new ribbon. I've shared this with several people who use Word 2003 here at the office but have purchased new home computers with Office 2007 and they feel lost.

Interactive Ribbon

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary, What I see in the Table I have - it is only two columns - that as I type into the first column, words appear to "disappear" behind column two or out the end of column one. If I put a paragraph return at the end of the sentence before the line separating the two columns is reached, then things just carry on until I reach the column border again. I would cut and paste something into this reply to show you if I knew how to do it.
    What you are describing is what happens in Excel if you do not have word wrapping set up. Is it possible that you are inserting an Excel table into your Word document? If so, the rules for Excel apply in this case.
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    This can occur when your paragraph right indent is set to a negative value. If you reset paragraph formatting using Ctrl+Q, does that resolve the issue, or is it part of the style definition?
    I just started a new gig with Word 2007 - and I had just gotten used to 2010 I am having the EXACT same issue with the text disappearing in a table. The Ctrl+Q solution worked perfectily. Thanks so much - this was driving me nuts. Nice to know a 3 year old post can help.
    Last edited by babyd; 2013-08-20 at 10:26. Reason: correction