Thread: Win RE

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just took a drive through the former recovery console in Win 7, renamed the Windows Recovery Environment....and wow, is it great! (I skipped Vista)

Finally, a low-level command prompt that works--unlike the hamstrung recovery console in 2000/XP. A USB drive present at boot can be accessed with no effort, I can now copy files to that drive, all the commands have full functionality, and some of the commands are bigger and better than they were in the past.

I hope I never use this a lot, but it's good to know that the mad DOS skills I acquired in the MS-DOS 4-6 days can be used again if ever necessary.

-JohnO

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dos is still alive and kickin rump in Win 7, much more powerful. You can d/l the reference guide here. I install and save the WinCmdRef.chm elsewhere
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    And to think MS started to get rid of it in Windows ME.

EDIT: This dont hold a candle to what you can do with a simple 'Net' in a command prompt. That does everything if you care to explore but be careful

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that's a handy file to have. Looking at it I see that Edit lives on, but not within the Win RE.

But, I did find this in the parameters list for "freedisk" (which won't run anywhere, even under cmd.exe):

Checks for a specific amount of free disk space. You can specify <Value>in bytes, KB, MB, GB, TB, PB, EB, ZB or YB.

Yottabytes. I love those things.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ahhhh DOS. Still use the command shell quite often. Funny how fast a dir/s goes by now! Remember the bytes free would be something like

25,652,843 bytes free

Now it's

1,462,540,533,760 bytes free

Oh, how time flies by!