New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was wondering if anyone else was encountering problems after patch Tuesday this week (04/13/2010.)

We have four Windows 2000 servers, two of which installed patch Tuesday patches after restarting, two of which have yet to restart and are still up - haven't completed the install.

On the first two, it's a BSOD/Stop 0x000000D1, driver irq less than equal to, tcpip.sys. Full references below.

I've disabled the nightly reboot on the other two machines to try to keep them up and available. We use AVG for antivirus and I'm not sure if the issue is Windows or an AVG update. There has been a recent AVG program update. Am opening a support case with them.

Problem is only showing up on these two Windows 2000 servers - our WinXP and Vista clients are all ok.

One server was brought back to some functionality after restarting with "last known good configuration." The other keeps throwing the same STOP error.

Thanks for whatever insights you can offer.

For server 1,
    Stop 0x000000D1 (0xBDCD9040 0x0000002 0x00000001 0xBF3E34A6)
    address BF3E34A6 base at BF3DB000 date stamp 4858ddd0 tcpip.sys

For server 2,
    Stop 0x000000D1(0xEE44F028 0x00000002 0x00000001 0xCF4A64A6)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Removing the AVG client software allowed the server to boot normally. Waiting to hear back from AVG.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Still waiting to hear from AVG.

Re-applied patch Tuesday patches and the server is functioning just fine - bounced it and it came right back up clean. MS regression testers appear to be doing a good job - my bad in implicating the patches in the problem.

Would be interested in hearing from any other AVG users as this is the second time in about a month that a program update caused us server failures on our Windows 2000 servers. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Thanks for keeping us informed.

Windows 2000 is very "long in the tooth". I'm not familiar with AVG support but you may find that getting help is problematic.

With the patches installed and running successfully, have you tried reinstalling the AVG client software?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's true that Windows 2000 is "seasoned" but our needs are fairly basic (k-8 education the server and client access licenses are all paid for.

AVG recently announced a new phone support option, and I tried it out on this issue, but after my first call they defaulted to their normal email support process. You run into occasional translation issues, but their people do a decent job of supporting their product and are knowledgeable and polite. Can take a bit of time to get a reply, but it works ok for us. Cost is an issue and AVG with the educational discount is a great value.

I held off reinstalling until the next release of the AVG client software. That came out late last week. The new release is working fine, so we're back to normal.

I posted to the Lounge just in case it was a Patch Tuesday issue - wanted to see if anyone else was reporting trouble. Thought maybe today I'd see some posts on the McAfee problem that was in the news, and was surprised not to see anything.

Thanks, Joe.

Don