2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PATCH WATCH

Microsoft releases a taxing week of patches

By Susan Bradley

Digitally-signed software is a system designed to build trust in the applications you install on a PC.

Most of us don't think twice about installing digitally-signed software, but we should — now that malware has made this system less trustworthy.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/04/15/07 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 16:00.

Thanks
    Susan, regarding the Java Updates, it is reported in a comment at Woody Leonhard's site that just today Java released JRE 6 Update 20. I think Java SE has the same update. You might want to update your article to relect this. This patch closes off the serious vulnerability which Robert Vamosi references in his column in the current Windows Secrets Newsletter.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, regarding the patches this week. IE8 is my browser. I access a security DVR from work. It would not allow me to collect a "snapshot" (normally dropped to the desktop). It also would let me download a DVR file to my PC. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what happened. Apparently one of the patches turned on "enable protected mode", because as soon as I turned that off, the program began to work again.

Dave