Thread: BSOD on bootup

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is driving me nuts. I have been troubleshooting this for hours and I give up. EVERYTHING I have tried the computer is like "Sorry, but I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Attached is the blue screen error. The blue screen pops up either during the welcome screen just after logon. It says the partition has errors and needs to run chkdsk /f. Here is what I have tried:

1. Safe mode. I can get into it, but when I try to run scandisk, it says "scandisk will run after the computer is rebooted." I reboot the machine normally and it doesn't run when the welcome screen shows up.

2. Recovery console on the XP setup disk. But the hard drive is a SATA drive, and the drivers are not included on the setup disk. So I went to Gateway's web site and downloaded the drivers, loaded them into setup via floppy disk, and setup STILL won't detect the hard drive.

3. Linux. Booted Ubuntu and Gparted agrees with windows that there are file system errors, but won't do anything about it. Checked the hard drive's smart data and it looks good and passed all tests.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    You can enter a Windows Run command and type "checkdisk /f" (without the quotes, and include the space before the slash) which will have Checkdisk run at reboot (if all goes well, but maybe this will not work on a SATA drive) and Checkdisk on this run will try to fix any errors it encounters. Maybe if you can get into Safe Mode the Run command can be executed from there. SATA drives can be pretty flaky, so this is only a suggestion.

I have also seen this type of Blue Screen when there is a driver which has stopped working. Again, this may be your SATA driver.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Download a dos type floppy bootdisk and run the above checkdisk commands, or "checkdisk /r".
    The default XP recovery console can be whimpy if not installed & configured properly.
    Running checkdisk in full XP, or even Safemode will not invoke the repair or fix command.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    go to gibson research and buy spinrite. www.grc.com.

It does deep level rebuilding and has saved my butt more than once. (but not always).

or re-install windows. You do have good backups, all the install cd's for all your software and oh, 1 or 2 days to install everything and get it back the way it was?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    1. GOTO BIOS ROM Setup by pressing F10 key on keyboard or DEL button or whatever it is.
    2. Goto Advanced Tab and select On Board Devices.
    3. Change the Value of SATA Hard Drive Native Mode from Enable to Disable. In some setups change AHCI to Standard SATA.
    4. Save the change and exit from BIOS Setup. and continue to boot from Windows XP CD. Go to Recovery console and run CHKDSK /P.
    (Standard XP install CD cannot read SATA disks (no driver included on that CD)).
    When CHKDSK is finished reboot and go to BIOS ROM Setup again and restore SATA to original setting and continue rebooting.

Hopes it helps.
    Regards
    S-O

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved it. I built a live CD of XP as instructed here and built the SATA drivers into it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Mast View Post
    Solved it. I built a live CD of XP as instructed here and built the SATA drivers into it.
    Great!! Thanks for keeping us informed.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Know little late; but, looking at the original blue screen. The file that is showen as causing the problem, is a unknown .sys file. A google search for that file, show
    no results. This would lead me to believe it might have be a randomly generated file cause by a possible rootkit? or some other trojan/viri ??? Might not hurt to scan with some of the links from this article. just to be safe.
    http://www.windowssecrets.com/2008/0...-rootkit-spies

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeloader45 View Post
    Know little late; but, looking at the original blue screen. The file that is showen as causing the problem, is a unknown .sys file. A google search for that file, show
    no results. This would lead me to believe it might have be a randomly generated file cause by a possible rootkit? or some other trojan/viri ??? Might not hurt to scan with some of the links from this article. just to be safe.
    http://www.windowsse...t-rootkit-spies
    Most likely, it was associated with the OP's SATA drivers, from what was posted above when the problem was declared "solved". It was said there that it was a driver issue, which makes sense for this type of Stop Error Blue Screen during a Windows boot.
    -- Bob Primak --