Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know what exactly Update KB979099 accomplishes and what problem it solves?

If I install this, who benefits? Me, or the RIAA and MPAA?

Thanks
    It appears this update is for Vista, not win 7. This is an explanation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Richardson View Post
    Does anyone know what exactly Update KB979099 accomplishes and what problem it solves?

If I install this, who benefits? Me, or the RIAA and MPAA?
    This fix changes how Rights Management works. Rights Management is not limited to music. Any file an have rights associated with it by the owner. The owner can prohibit printing, changing, etc.

I'd install the fix & not worry about it.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    It appears this update is for Vista, not win 7. This is an explanation.
    The fix does apply to Windows 7. See An update is available to remove the application manifest expiry feature from AD RMS clients.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Well, Joe, I read the Microsoft thing you linked to, but it didn't help me one bit, because it assumed I knew what it was talking about. And I clearly don't. "When the frigglefraggle enters into a bandersnatch condition, some users could experience an increase in hogopogoism. This Update remedies that problem."

So let me ask the question again: What happens if I get this update? What happens if I don't get it? Under what circumstances must I get it? Under what circumstances must I avoid getting it? Does this Update benefit me? Or does it benefit rightsholders, who have arm-twisted Microsoft into foisting this on trusting users?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Richardson View Post
    Well, Joe, I read the Microsoft thing you linked to, but it didn't help me one bit, because it assumed I knew what it was talking about. And I clearly don't. "When the frigglefraggle enters into a bandersnatch condition, some users could experience an increase in hogopogoism. This Update remedies that problem."

So let me ask the question again: What happens if I get this update? What happens if I don't get it? Under what circumstances must I get it? Under what circumstances must I avoid getting it? Does this Update benefit me? Or does it benefit rightsholders, who have arm-twisted Microsoft into foisting this on trusting users?
    If you don't get the update and then receive a file with rights management features activated you won't be able to open it.

If you get the update for the vast majority of files you receive it means nothing. For a file that has Microsoft's rights management features activated it means you will be able to access and use the file in accordance with the how the rights holder decided it was to be used.

You decide who it benefits.

Joe
    Joe