5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went looking for a calculator gadget to add to those I have in Win 7, most of which are useless for my needs...I found one, downloaded it, unzipped it, now I can't figure out where to put it so I can call it up for those quicky calculations I often want to make. Ideally, I would like to be able to tack it to the Start menu or somewhere else that makes it handy. Any insight that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If it is really a gadget file just right click it and select "install". Then you can right click a blank spot on the desktop and select "Gadgets". Right click your calculator gadget and select "Add". You can then move it around anywhere on the desktop.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. Who would have know that it would be so simple. I believe that it is a true "gadgets" file, as it has a .gadgets file ending to it.

Regards,

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    If it has a 'gadgets extension it is a gadget. Good luck with it.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello JoeP.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If it is really a gadget file just right click it and select "install". Then you can right click a blank spot on the desktop and select "Gadgets". Right click your calculator gadget and select "Add". You can then move it around anywhere on the desktop.
    Maybe I should first try it but can you tell me if this is also possible using the Calc in Windows -> System32 ???

Have a great Se7en day. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Maybe I should first try it but can you tell me if this is also possible using the Calc in Windows -> System32 ???
    If you mean can you run Calc as a gadget without additional work the answer is NO.

See Developing a Gadget for Windows Sidebar Part 1: The Basics and Gadgets: Build Your Own Windows Vista Sidebar Gadget for more information on creating gadgets.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Me again, JoeP.

You wrote :
    If you mean can you run Calc as a gadget without additional work the answer is NO.

I am on Se7en and I do not see any gadget at all. Whatever I do, zilch ! No way to recoup them in Desktop -> right click -> View. I even got to Help & Support and saw nothing relevant on how to re-establish them. I should have tried this before I bugged you, JoeP. Sorry !

Out of curiosity, is there a way to see them again ? There used to be a Notification Area dooeeky that would replace them on the screen, I do not see it now, was it just on Vista ? I would have no use for them so I removed them but I can not recall really defeating the process. Oh, I got a shortcut to the Calc in System32 on the Taskbar, just as good.

Now, I got a fine question for you now. When I use "Windows Media Center", I loose the mouse, rather the arrow that shows where the mouse is as the mouse is still useable but visible. Let me clear the fog.... if I move it, it will eventually through good luck, highlight an icon on the screen, pot-luck. If I click then, it works but it sure requires a deft hand to achieve this. If I use Windows Media Player, (Player, not Center), the mouse is fine. Any help on Center ???

Great Scott, I can be verbose. Sorry. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am on Se7en and I do not see any gadget at all. Whatever I do, zilch ! No way to recoup them in Desktop -> right click -> View. I even got to Help & Support and saw nothing relevant on how to re-establish them.

When I use "Windows Media Center", I loose the mouse, rather the arrow that shows where the mouse is as the mouse is still useable but visible.
    When you right click on the desktop don't you see the Gadgets entry as in the attachment at the bottom?

[attachment=88607:Capture.PNG]

Sorry, I don't have that problem with media center so I can't help with your cursor issue.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now, I got a fine question for you now. When I use "Windows Media Center", I loose the mouse, rather the arrow that shows where the mouse is as the mouse is still useable but visible. Let me clear the fog.... if I move it, it will eventually through good luck, highlight an icon on the screen, pot-luck. If I click then, it works but it sure requires a deft hand to achieve this. If I use Windows Media Player, (Player, not Center), the mouse is fine. Any help on Center ???

Great Scott, I can be verbose. Sorry. JP.
    I've seen this happen on XP when running memory hungry apps like Media Center. More RAM usually fixes it. Or shutting off services and unnecessary programs that run at startup. Though I don't have much experience trying to run Win7 on a machine with less than 2GB of RAM, I'm curious to know how much RAM you have, and what your processor is?
    Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello JoeP.

Tee ! hee ! That Gadget on Desktop -> right clikc -> view is not there. Strange tyo say the least, but not enough to worry about it.

Sorry, I don't have that problem with media center so I can't help with your cursor issue.

Not to worry, I will use Media Player instead of Media Center and be happy as a pig in mire. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning JoeP.

[quote name='JoeP' date='2010-04-21 22:58' timestamp='1271905080' post='836365']
    See if How to restore the default Windows Sidebar gadgets? helps.

No matter how I try this, the Gadgets are not accessable. Others have also shown a path to see them again, no joy. Maybe I really deleted the whole bunch and app at one time.

Let us drop this as it was ± a curiosity item on my part. JP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Charles, hello.

Thanks for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck De La Rosa View Post
    I've seen this happen on XP when running memory hungry apps like Media Center. More RAM usually fixes it. Or shutting off services and unnecessary programs that run at startup. Though I don't have much experience trying to run Win7 on a machine with less than 2GB of RAM, I'm curious to know how much RAM you have, and what your processor is?
    On Se7en, 32 bit CPU, 2 G of RAM of which 1.75 is shown as usable. Not much but it does me fine. I could add a 1 gigger, still no fireball.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Jean Parrot;746852]Good morning JoeP.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    See if How to restore the default Windows Sidebar gadgets? helps.

No matter how I try this, the Gadgets are not accessable. Others have also shown a path to see them again, no joy. Maybe I really deleted the whole bunch and app at one time.
    One more thing to check if you are willing. Start | Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off. See if "Windows Gadget Platform" is checked. If it is not checked then "check" it. If it is checked then uncheck it. Re-boot. Go back to the same place and re-enable (i.e. "check").

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sir JoeP, greets.

One more thing to check if you are willing. Start | Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off. See if "Windows Gadget Platform" is checked. If it is not checked then "check" it. If it is checked then uncheck it. Re-boot. Go back to the same place and re-enable (i.e. "check").

One thing is wrong in your lines above, the : if you are willing ! You are amazing! You knowledge is beyond praise. I will always be willing to try any and all your suggestions. Let it be said that this one above was the one that did it. How you could direct me to it is why I will always be willing. I did not know nor could I have found the "path" to this correction. I have built about 5 computors, repaired enough to forget how many and still you are able to teach me humility to start with. The Sir is deserved.

I am not the last come lately user, following the above instructions is proof, most people would get lost after two steps. Thanks a mega, my friend. JP.