Thread: Windows XP Mode

Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to know in the Win XP mode can be installed in Win 7 Home Premium? I found the download on the Microsoft website but will it actually install and run in Home Premium?

Also, If it installs does anyone know how it works? Do you have to install your copy of XP and use your key, update it? Also when you turn off the VM and re start it do you have to reinstall or just how does it work? I have a copy of XP and have one program that will not run in Win 7 at all.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    XP Mode is only intended for Windows7 Pro and above. One of the downloads for XP Mode is actually Windows XP SP3 so its included.

If you have your own copy of XP you can certainly install it in Windows 7 Home Premium using a free virtual machine program like VirtualBox or VMPlayer. A virtual machine works very much like its just another program as far as the host (Windows 7 HP in this case) is concerned.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Virtual machines are hard to explain to somebody who has never tried it themselves. It is basically a complete computer within a single file (or combination of files) that is run by a program or "player".

Grab one of the free programs mentioned above and give it a whirl. The prebuilt Microsoft virtual machine that is called "windows XP mode" will not run on Home versions of 7 as the home version does not include the license to run XP also.

One of the neatest uses of a VM is software testing. Because the whole computer is one file, all you have to do to save the state of the computer is make a copy of the file. You can then install your new program, (infect it with the latest virus, try a crazy registry hack, etc, etc,) and once you are through playing and breaking things, you just pull back the copy of the file and you are right back where you started.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran across this recently, and while I cannot find it I was left to understand that they had relaxed their conditions a great deal. It costs nothing to try, and if it works it works. (In fact I alluded to it in another thread.)

I suggest doing what I admit I should be doing, and that is when you run across what looks like a goodie, bookmark it (under goodies, of course). Then you will have a link that you can share with the rest of us, or complain to MS about.

So far as I know, you are correct. Grab it while you can (with documentation of the conditions), and slap it on your system AFTER backing it up. In the meantime, do your homework, for which there is no shortage of sources.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    I ran across this recently, and while I cannot find it I was left to understand that they had relaxed their conditions a great deal. It costs nothing to try, and if it works it works. (In fact I alluded to it in another thread.)
    What was relaxed about XP mode was the requirement for hardware virtualization. It is no longer required. Any machine running Windows 7 Pro or higher can use XP mode.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    What was relaxed about XP mode was the requirement for hardware virtualization. It is no longer required. Any machine running Windows 7 Pro or higher can use XP mode.

Joe
    Thanks for the clarification Joe. I have to admit I was muddled as to the conditions.

Pete

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note that the change is strictly for XP mode...Windows Virtual PC still won't run as a stand-alone app on Win 7 without virtualization. As the unlucky and random owner of a non-virtualization CPU, I've been using VirtualBox with excellent results. Maybe I'm missing some performance, but at least it works.

-John O

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tepe View Post
    I would like to know in the Win XP mode can be installed in Win 7 Home Premium? I found the download on the Microsoft website but will it actually install and run in Home Premium?

Also, If it installs does anyone know how it works? Do you have to install your copy of XP and use your key, update it? Also when you turn off the VM and re start it do you have to reinstall or just how does it work? I have a copy of XP and have one program that will not run in Win 7 at all.
    Hello James; I have just upgraded from XP on my old computer to Win7 home premium on my new computer, and like you, have 1 or 2 old programs that won't run in Win7, including a DOS program I use every day.

before I bought, I read that virtualbox works better than xp virtual (on Windowssecrets, of course!), so I downloaded it, then installed XP from my windows installation disk (it is xp 2002, no service packs at all!), and now I start virtualbox, click on 'start' for the virtual xp, and up it comes.
    and I can run all my old programs in xp, with the mouse sliding back and forth between the vm and win7, so that I can copy something from the dos program in the vm, slide the mouse across to Word in win7, and paste it!
    XP wants to be activated, just like it was a real machine.

to get programs/data over to the xp vm, I used my dvd drive , which is accessible to both machines. the programs I needed do not use the registry so that was no problem, copying the programs. but they could also be reinstalled.

hope this helps,

Vern