Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm somewhat irritated that I cannot seem to find the answer to what should be a simple question:

In cleaning up a system, I run into multiple versions of both .Net and Java. When a new version is installed, they generally leave the older versions also installed, with no word one way or ther other as to whether the new version supersedes the older ones, making them unnecessary, or whether we should just keep additional versions accumulating on a machine indefinitely.

I search of the Lounge has been fruitless on this point so far.

I do like to keep my systems purged of unnecessary software, with the Registry as clean as possible to avoid potential problems as well. Thus, periodically I uninstall unneeded appications and both clean and compress the Registry files to keep performance at a maximum and problems at a minimum.

If anyone could point me to any references for these two items, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

David

Thanks
    With Java, it's best to uninstall any older versions prior to installing the newest version.

With .NET it's a tad bit more complicated, uninstalling a prior version may render a newer version unusable, or it
    may simply complain that it's needed and request you reinstall it over again. In otherwords it may take some experimentation.
    With the newer operating systems like Windows 7 and Vista it might be a non issue, as these are included. But with XP
    some applications demand this specific version, while others may require the latest version. Confusing? It's Microsoft.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Java,

I've used this utility in the past to clean up old installations, JavaRA

http://raproducts.org/javara.html

But you can always use the standard instructions too,

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_java.xml

From memory the newer Java JRE installers actually remove the old version(s) on installation but I haven't tested this yet.

Unfortunately CLiNT is right on the money with .Net framework as it can be a royal pain on XP. Unless you're really keen I would leave the beast to lay

Thanks
    Java is an outside program. The new ones replace the old ones, so you can safely delete the older versions.

Dot Net however is "Windows". Leave all the versions alone, and keep it up to date. You should now be at level
    3.5 with updates.

Look elsewhere to save disk space. Running DiskCleanup and Defrag, all part of windows, will go a long ways
    toward keeping your system running well and should be run on a Weekly Maintenance routine.

Using this shortcut to run Disk Cleanup, will give you a much improved cleanup.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35

Just copy and paste the above line into a New Desktop shortcut.
    On the first run, Select everything but, "Office Setup files", "Setup Logs" and "Compress old files".

It's actually pretty simple to keep your computer clean, just using what's already built into Windows.

Good Luck and Happy Computing!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    Dot Net however is "Windows". Leave all the versions alone, and keep it up to date. You should now be at level
    3.5 with updates.
    .NET 4.0 has been released. See Microsoft .NET Framework.

Probably not anything "in the wild" that requires it yet.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    .NET 4.0 has been released. See Microsoft .NET Framework.

Probably not anything "in the wild" that requires it yet.

Joe
    I seem to have read somewhere (don't recall where) that .NET Framework 4.0 will not work on Windows XP, but is for Vista and Windows 7 only.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Primak View Post
    I seem to have read somewhere (don't recall where) that .NET Framework 4.0 will not work on Windows XP, but is for Vista and Windows 7 only.
    According to the System Requirements at Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) it will work on XP SP-3.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    According to the System Requirements at Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) it will work on XP SP-3.

Joe
    Thanks. Good to know.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I personally only install .NET when doing a slipstreaming project. I presume it's required for lots of other things, but I've never needed it for anything else.

GM

Thanks
    The question about old versions of Java has popped up a lot in other threads recently. Many people run Secunia PSI for example and even though they have upgraded their Java, it still shows as insecure. That's because Sun has seen fit to ignore old versions of Java on your PC and simply installed yet another version on your PC. This still leaves the old versions active and insecure. Use Add Remove Programs in XP or Programs and Features in Vista and Win 7 (both in control panel) to uninstall ALL old versions of Java manually, then install the latest version from this link.

Adobe flash used to do this but seems to have cleaned up their act recently so that only newest, more secure versions are left when an update is requested.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyMack View Post
    I personally only install .NET when doing a slipstreaming project. I presume it's required for lots of other things, but I've never needed it for anything else.
    If you run an application that uses .NET, you'll never be aware of it. The application will just use .NET.

Many times applications that require .NET include a version of .NET as part of the install.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Leave all the .net versions as they are. Some apps need the legacy versions, so uninstalling may have unexpected results.

Terry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you run an application that uses .NET, you'll never be aware of it. The application will just use .NET.

Many times applications that require .NET include a version of .NET as part of the install.

Joe

Yes, I was expecting .NET to show up on my system sooner rather than later, but nothing yet.

Maybe my PC needs to get out more, and find a real job.

GM

Thanks
    .NET Framework is present in Windows 7 from the day you install it. So you do need to keep it updated for this version. Previously, it was an add-on, so if you have it, keep it updated and do not remove older versions. I use Paint .NET, and it definitely needs .NET Framework to work properly. There are other programs which use .NET Framework and do not announce it so loudly.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wondering if you've installed .Net 4 yet? W Update offers it but I've held off installing it in case there might be issues...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast