Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am working with approximately 50 XP-SP3 machines. I support a variety of desktops and laptops which include HP, Dell, Compaq, etc. They have a variety of graphics cards and monitors. All of these machines are running Office 2003 – network installed exactly the same. They do not have Office 2007 installed.

We have one MS Access application which reads and displays jpgs on a report via VBA. The jpgs are not part of the MS Access application, but are stored in their own libraries. When the report is loaded, it selects the appropriate jpg to use as a form. Data from the MS Access application is placed on the report in exactly the correct location on the jpg form. This application has been running in production for over 3 years without problems. Since these jpgs represent specific ‘parts’, there are hundreds of them, all sized exactly to serve this purpose.

At this time, I support 1 Vista machine and 3 Windows 7-64 machines. Again, they are a mix of machines – desktops and laptops with different graphics cards and monitors. They are also running Office 2003, installed exactly the same as the XP-SP3 machines (same network installation).

The MS Access application does not work correctly on Vista or Windows 7-64. The jpgs display at about ˝ the size they should display. Since the forms and the data no longer line up, it makes the application unusable. Please see attachment.

I decided to try a bmp file instead of a jpg file. The bmp file also did not display correctly on both XP and Vista/Windows 7. However, the problem was reversed. It displayed smaller on the XP machines. Also, the jpg file is 121 KB. The bmp file (exactly the same resolution and dimension) is 2 MB.

I am trying to resolve this problem without having to move my entire staff to Windows 7 all at the same time and also re-create every part image. I would appreciate any advice on the subject.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That is indeed bizzare - and it appears that only parts of the image are being affected. For example the table that displays part characteristics, and the table that shows revisions both seem OK. And the text in the upper left corner and top center are unaffected. It appears that there is something going on with the jpg structure. What sort of control is being used to display the drawing on the report? Specifically is it an Image control? Does this
    I am trying to resolve this problem without having to move my entire staff to Windows 7 all at the same time and also re-create every part image/
    mean that you have been able to make things work on a Win7 PC by rescanning the image on a Win7 PC? I would be curious to know how Access 2007 handles the issue if you have it available. This is strictly a guess, but it appears to me that the issue may have to do with how jpg files are processed at the OS level rather than an issue with Access 2003, but more research will be required to establish that.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sadly, this just gets more disturbing.

I loaded Office 2007 on my Windows 7/64 machine. I set up 2 tests and performed each on the XP Access 2003 machine, Windows 7 Access 2003, and Windows 7 Access 2007. The first test was the normal jpg export. It produced the same results on the Windows 7 Access 2003 and Access 2007. On the second test I exported the jpg at a higher resolution. I knew this would produce a bigger picture in my XP Access 2003 application (which it did) - so I was making an unworthy, untested assumption. It did not produce a larger display in neither the 2003 nor the 2007 Access application on the Windows 7 machine. I will try to attach both sets of PDFs. In each set, the first print is from XP, the second is from Windows 7 Access 2003, and the third is from Windows 7 Access 2007.

To answer your questions and provide you with a little more information: Jpgs that are 'pasted' into the Access application do not resize between operating systems. They look the same in both systems in either 2003 and 2007. The culprit jpgs exist outside the database as described earlier. The report has a default image in a named image control (ImageFrame). The correct image is loaded in on Detail_Format (Me.ImageFrame.Picture =...). The size mode is set to CLIP. The alignment is CENTER. All things that are part of the database seem to display correctly in any of the operating systems.

I agree with you that the issue is in the operating system, not Access. If I get an opportunity, I'll set up Office 2007 on an XP machine. I believe the application will behave exactly like it does in Access 2003.

At this time I am left with no solutions other than hoping I can retire before the Engineering department wants to move up to a new operating system.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'll do a bit of testing and see what I come up with - I don't have Win7 active at the moment, but I do have Vista and 2008 Server. Question 1 - what version of Win7 are you using - there were some issues in the late Beta version as I recall. Question 2 - how were the JPG images created - were they scanned from some sort of copier or scanner (it looks like that to me), or were they created directly from some sort of drafting program?

Edited to add another question:
    Question 3 - is you Vista PC running the 32 bit version or the 64-bit version?
    Wendell

Thanks
    I just tried a similar small APP on Access 2003 and 2007 on Windows 7 Ultimate and everything positioned OK.
    This was using Image Controls with Size set to Stretch.
    Does the VBA Code do any resizing or positioning on the JPG Image.

Also, are some of the components SubForms / Reports rather than forms?
    Andrew

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't used Stretch. Stretch resizes the image to the size of the control. At this time, I have not done a lot of work to make the control exactly fit the image size - some controls could be bigger than the images. But if it is the only way to make it work, it is better than nothing.

Thanks. I will do some more experiments with Stretch. I would be curious to know the results of your test if you set your control to CLIP like mine. Clip is suppose to keep the image size as-is without changing it. If the control is too small for the image, it will 'clip' it off. If the control is bigger than the image, you just set it to Center and it will center the image in the control.

The VBA code does no resizing or positioning. Nothing is in subforms.

If you try CLIP, please let me know how that turns out.

_____

I wanted to make sure that you understand that my problem is not between Access 2003 and Access 2007. They work the same on the same operating system regardless of the version of Office. My problem is between MS Access 2003 on XP and MS Access 2003 on Windows 7 or Vista. I have no problems until I have to upgrade some of my users from XP to Windows 7. I need for the application to work the same on XP and Windows 7.

Thanks
    It worked the same with CLIP.
    None of the options should change the size of the actual control box as you say, they should just ensure that the image fits inside the box.
    It might be that my image is too simple to show this.

I was just using simple VBA to set the Picture of the Image Control
    to a specific picture as part of the On Format Event of the section in the report.

What is the code that sets the JPG to the Image Control on the form/report

Also, is it printing a Form or a Report (I am guessing Report).
    Andrew

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not at work today, so I just have to copy this snippit of code from my earlier post.

The report has a default image in a named image control (ImageFrame). The correct image is loaded in on the Detail_Format section via the code (Me.ImageFrame.Picture =...). This uses information the user has selected to point to the right jpg, but I think it should work the same if you hard code the path and file name.

Any image that is 'pasted' or included in MS Access seems to work just fine. It is only these which are read on-the-fly and reside entirely from outside MS Access that fail. You will know if it fails. The image doesn't have to be complex. Even simple images display 1/2 the size.

Thanks for your time, Elaine

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Answer to a previous question: My Vista is running 32. The Windows 7 machines are running 64 - not Beta. The images are exported from CAD software. It allows you to select the dpi. This images are displayed on a report in MS Access - not a form.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would suggest that you try setting the image control's size mode to Zoom. Zoom will preserve the aspect ratio of the JPG file and will allow it to fill either the horizontal dimension, the vertical dimension, or both depending on the aspect ratio of the image control.

Zoom may be able to offset the Vista/Win 7 shrinkage of the image.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll give zoom a try and let you know how it works.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I ran some tests using Vista Business 32-bit and Access 2007 with some JPEGs that included both text and graphics and wasn't able to replicate the issue. I then took the same database to Windows 2008 Server R2 and Access 2010, and that combination worked correctly as well. Unfortunately I don't have a Win7 system available currently. I can attach the test database and the graphics to a post if you would like to try it - just let me know. I rather suspect you have encountered an issue with print drivers, as that could impact the printing as well as the preview. Is the report set to print to the default printer, or has it been set to a specific printer? There have been reports of issues with Win7 printer drivers not behaving exactly as they should. If you have a printer that will use Postscript instead of PCL, you might try that and see if it behaves. The other possibility that I can think of is that the drafting program produces something not quite standard JPG, and the JPG rendering changed with Vista/Win7 - and that seems like a real long-shot. If you can, upload one of the smaller JPG files as a sample and we can test with it - I realize that there may be issues that would prevent you from doing that.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for all the time you've put into this. I would really appreciate it if you would send me the database and picture. Also, would you be willing to try the attached jpg with your database. I have found that pictures which are 72 ppi look nearly the same on XP and Windows 7. My CAD picture and this picture of the squirrel are not cropped at 72 ppi. I have no control over the CAD pictures.

I will be trying all the different suggestions as the day goes on. At this time, I have tried the easiest just to get it out of the way. I put a regular photo image in place of the image from the CAD system. The results were the same. See attached. Page 1 is XP, page 2 is Windows 7-64.

The report is sent out to the default printer. I have sent it to a couple of printers, however I don't know if any are PS. I will specifically install a PS printer today and give it a try. The example that is attached was sent directly to PDFCreator. The results are the same as the results I get on the Konica printer and the Canon printer. PDFCreator makes a much smaller file than a print-and-scan, so this is the one I have attached.

I also intend to do the same process using a form instead of report. This will determine for sure if it is a printer driver problem. I intend to set one up using Zoom instead of Clip and see if that will work. If it is stable, this may be the answer - however I am still very interested in determining the problem. I want to try a 32 bit system again, just to make sure that the problem isn't in the 64 bit processing.

I have found one other post in PCReview describing the same problem (title - Access 2003 with Windows 7).

Thanks again!

-----
    At this time we have no Vista 32 machines in house - only Vista 64s. We may have re-imaged the Vista 32, or I could have been wrong in thinking the Vista test was on a 32 bit machine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    OK - I've attached the test database (courtesy of Slinky with only minor mods by me). The image control on the form is set to "zoom" while the report you get when you preview has the image control set to "clip." Also note that there are some labels on the report that should behave much like the data you are setting on the report you create. In addition I've attached 6 Jpegs of varying sizes and style that I used to test the rendering. (I also looked at the PCReview thread and it looks like they didn't make much progress with the issue either.)
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much. This has made a terrific testing tool for me.

In order to take printer drivers out of the picture, I worked only with the form. I made the control bigger so that my results would be easy to see. I changed the control from STRETCH to CLIP so that it would act the same as the control on my reports. My results are attached.

As you can see, I have the same problem in the form that I have in the report. The image size changes between XP and Windows 7-64. It is also notable that the amount of change seems to be proportionate to the image parameters - particularly ppi. The closer the image is to the standard display ppi of 72, the closer they are in size (display).

It appears to me that Windows 7 translates some of the jpg properties differently than XP, but I can't explain why it only affects a couple of us. Perhaps it is only a problem with the 64 bit machines. I have no opportunity to try this on a 32 bit Vista or Windows 7 at this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast