3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reformat hard drive

I need to reformat my hard drive. When I had Windows 98 installed, it was easy to go to "Start - Restart in MSDos mode", where I could then format the drive. How do you get to the MSDos prompt with ME installed?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reformat hard drive

During startup, you can alter the mode of startup by pressing the F8 key before the Windows GUI starts to load (ie before the "Windows ME" screen).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the same for all Windows OSes, starting with Windows95 and Windows NT.
    Christopher Baldrey

New Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to reformat your ME drive, you will have to start your computer with your startup disk. You did make one didn't you? That will put all the utilities in a ram drive for you and you can manipulate all your drives from there.

Roland

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Or, just put in your WinME CD, reboot, and tell it to go to a command prompt when the menu comes up.
    Make sure you have your CDROM set before the hard drive in your BIOS for bootup. Floppy, CDROM, then hard drive.

Fdisk the drive, then install. WinME will ask to format the drive if it is not already formatted.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! Got it reformatted okay. Now when I go to reinstall ME, everything freezes up on the initial screen after the first setup box gets to 100%. I've reformatted and reinstalled Win programs before but have never had this problem. Suggestions?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Easy way - turn machine OFF try again several times (Valium helps in these situations). I have found that WinnieMe often requires several restarts before it gets things right, even when loading some new software. Winnie is having a problem with some hardware, probably a video card. If you updated from 98 then it would have a roadmap to follow. If OEM disk call manufacturer and listne to them blame someone else. You may have to trick it by installing 98, getting it running properly and then upgrading. On your setup disk run setup /? and see if there are any switches in the setup command that might help. If you can force it to start you can sort out the conflicts later. Perhaps someone else has better ideas.

Roland

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have installed/reinstalled Me many times and the only time it has installed without a hitch and run stably, is after first copying the installation CAB files onto my hard disk and installing from there. You need to copy all the files from the Win9x folder and run setup from there.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help! I ended up bringing my CPU to work and letting our resident computer "guru" take a look at it over the weekend. Don't know how he did it, but he got ME installed doing exactly what I had been doing. Maybe something "jarred" on the trip in. Anyway, I've printed your suggestions for "next time". Thanks again!