New Lounger
    I have a backup of all my files on an external hard drive but I would like to create a second backup of my MP3 files on DVD +R. I'm guessing that compressing the files will save a lot of space so I was wondering which is the best compression software.

Will compressing the files degrade them in any way or should I just copy them to DVD?

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium and I have Winzip 14.0 Pro which I intend to use if opinions are favourable

Thanks for any comments

Silicon Valley, USA
    Are you thinking of, say, ZIP compression? MP3 files probably won't compress very much. You could look at some non-standard archiving formats or compression methods supported by modern ZIP programs, but I still wouldn't expect a big savings.

You could significantly reduce the size of an MP3 by re-encoding it at a lower quality. But that's probably not helpful in the long run.

== Edit ==

Here's an article from WinZip that might help: Why don't some files compress very much? - WinZip Computing :: Knowledgebase

Hinsdale, IL, USA
    MP3 is already a compressed format. You could not get much benefit from further compression. And reducing the bitrate significantly affects playback quality. The best bet is just to copy the MP3 files as-is. Even copying and recopying them will degrade playback quality, as MP3 is not a lossless format. But that's your best bet. Today's large hard drives are so cheap that space should not really be an issue. Just get a bigger drive or several smaller drives. If using DVD or CD as a backup medium, just bite the bullet and use more disks.
    -- Bob Primak --