Thanks
    I am running Win 7 Pro on a Dell E4300 (it cam pre-installed). When I run Chkdsk C: /f at a command prompt it tells me that another process is using the drive and would I like to run it the next time the system starts. I type "Y" and get a command prompt, then restart. But Chkdsk does not run. I can tell because if I run Chkdsk C: (without the /f) at a command prompt, I see the same unfixed error that I saw before. How can I get Chkdsk /f to run at startup?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeacham View Post
    I am running Win 7 Pro on a Dell E4300 (it cam pre-installed). When I run Chkdsk C: /f at a command prompt it tells me that another process is using the drive and would I like to run it the next time the system starts. I type "Y" and get a command prompt, then restart. But Chkdsk does not run. I can tell because if I run Chkdsk C: (without the /f) at a command prompt, I see the same unfixed error that I saw before. How can I get Chkdsk /f to run at startup?

Boot from the win 7 DVD and at the first screen type shift F10 that will get you a command prompt ans run it from there.

Let us know if you need help

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    I am running Win 7 Pro on a Dell E4300 (it cam pre-installed). When I run Chkdsk C: /f at a command prompt it tells me that another process is using the drive and would I like to run it the next time the system starts.
    If you run checkdisk for the os, the "fix or repair" function will not be invoked. Not while windows is running.
    You have do do it from a command prompt within the recovery boot console and not safe mode either.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I understand how to run chkdsk from a repair dvd and from recovery console. What I want to know is, is there a defect in Win 7? It asks me if I want to run chkdsk the next time the machine starts up, I answer Yes, and it tells me that it will run at next restart. But it doesn't. I have tried this with WinXP, and it does work there.
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Thanks
    Have you tried chkdsk /r

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    "Chkdsk C: /f" worked for me from the start menu's command prompt; booted and it ran after bios, and pre Windows boot screen.
    There may be a problem with your specific setup.

If one were to do it this way, I would not rely on the "fix/repair" switch.

bmeacham, try running it by right clicking the C drive's properties, tools menu , "error-checking"..."check now".
    See if that way of doing it is functional.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.