Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I last used Document Map something like Word 2000, and gave up because of:
    1. Word crashing
    2. outline levels getting changed; and
    3. the map itself getting screwed up.

But it's such a great idea, I wondered whether things had improved in 2007. Anyone know?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I haven't heard of crashes and such with W2003, but--off and on over the past few years or maybe from patch to patch-- the document map still changes the outline levels of paragraphs it thinks are headings.

BUT W2010's navigation pane seems to be free of that problem. I tested it, and in one file the outline levels were changed. That was months ago, but I have not been able to duplicate it since. I hope lots of us will be checking out the shipped version just to be sure.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What Microsoft has failed to let users know is that the DocMap is actually an AutoFormat function. When you launch DocMap, it will run the AutoFormat command. This means that if you have made a line of text bold for some good reason, DocMap will run AutoFormat and think that you intended that line to be a Heading - so it changes it to a Heading x.

Providing that you styles correctly and avoid direct formatting, then DocMap works perfectly in Word 2003 onwards.

Terry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    What Microsoft has failed to let users know is that the DocMap is actually an AutoFormat function. When you launch DocMap, it will run the AutoFormat command. This means that if you have made a line of text bold for some good reason, DocMap will run AutoFormat and think that you intended that line to be a Heading - so it changes it to a Heading x.

Providing that you styles correctly and avoid direct formatting, then DocMap works perfectly in Word 2003 onwards.

Terry
    That makes sense. But I'm still a bit confused, because my AutoFormat settings don't ask for headings to be created (see attached dialog screen shots). I tested it with the following text, and still get outline levels applied (even to the non-bold "This is text"):

Short heading
    This is text
    Another short heading
    More text

But what you're sayiing seems to make sense, so maybe DocMap uses the default AutoFormat settings (or something), which is a pity, because that means I can't control it. Oh well, I won't give DocMap another go. I deal with large well-styled documents, but can't afford to have "secret" changes made to the document that I may fail to notice.

PS: I even redid the above test but, but with no manual bolding, but a character style applied to the first line (where the character style was defined as "bold"), and that applied outline levels to three of the lines.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files