New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Win7 64bit computer and am trying to access a printer over the network. The printer is a Canon Pixma iP1600. I have the install disk, but when I try to run it on Win7 I get a message that it only works on Intel 32bit. I even tried to run it in xp sp2 and sp3 mode, but no go. Canon doesn't have a driver for it, but sends you to Windows update. When I plug the printer directly into the computer it goes to WU and gets the needed driver almost immediately. The printer works fine. But then I go back to connecting over the network. It sees that the printer is there, but when I try to access it, the computer looks for a driver, goes to windows updates and looks for several minutes before concluding that it can't find it - why not, it just got it when I was connected directly. I've tried to find it on microsoft.com but can't find how to get to any of the drivers to download them apart from WU. So how do I get a copy of that driver to install it manually, or what do I do to make WU install the driver?

There are some nice things about W7, but there are a lot of glitches in mine and I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing in getting it???? Any help?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sati View Post
    I have a Win7 64bit computer and am trying to access a printer over the network. The printer is a Canon Pixma iP1600. I have the install disk, but when I try to run it on Win7 I get a message that it only works on Intel 32bit. I even tried to run it in xp sp2 and sp3 mode, but no go. Canon doesn't have a driver for it, but sends you to Windows update. When I plug the printer directly into the computer it goes to WU and gets the needed driver almost immediately. The printer works fine. But then I go back to connecting over the network. It sees that the printer is there, but when I try to access it, the computer looks for a driver, goes to windows updates and looks for several minutes before concluding that it can't find it - why not, it just got it when I was connected directly. I've tried to find it on microsoft.com but can't find how to get to any of the drivers to download them apart from WU. So how do I get a copy of that driver to install it manually, or what do I do to make WU install the driver?

There are some nice things about W7, but there are a lot of glitches in mine and I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing in getting it???? Any help?

No 32 bit driver will run on 64bit. You can however run a vista 64 bit driver if you install it in "compatibility mode" to do that. right click the installer>properties>compatibilty>vista.

Hope this helps

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So how do I get a copy of that driver to install it manually
    Driver Magician lite will capture that if it helps. Free