Thanks
    I just went and cleaned my registry (using Max Reg Cleaner). Before doing so, I had backed up the registry.

After cleaning the sound (set to Windows Exclamation) didn't work any longer. I restored the registry backup...the sound came back.

KNow the sound name, I did a registry search, and found five keys that call that sound. After changing them, one at a time, to something else, the sound on reg merge didn't change.

I'm certainly glad I had a backup, but I would also like to understand what got "cleaned".

Is there somewhere that I could find out what reg key controls that sound? Whatever it is it is being seen as "wrong" when the registry is cleaned -- I tried two other cleaners as well, with the same result -- and that makes me wonder Wat other issues could be affected.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    I just went and cleaned my registry (using Max Reg Cleaner). Before doing so, I had backed up the registry.

After cleaning the sound (set to Windows Exclamation) didn't work any longer. I restored the registry backup...the sound came back.

KNow the sound name, I did a registry search, and found five keys that call that sound. After changing them, one at a time, to something else, the sound on reg merge didn't change.

I'm certainly glad I had a backup, but I would also like to understand what got "cleaned".

Is there somewhere that I could find out what reg key controls that sound? Whatever it is it is being seen as "wrong" when the registry is cleaned -- I tried two other cleaners as well, with the same result -- and that makes me wonder Wat other issues could be affected.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Chuck

Im not sure about Max reg cleaner, but most of the reg cleaners have a log file of what has changed. I know it isnt exactly what you want but you could do a find next using something like the sound string. I am not really keen on reg cleaners for you never really know what they have changed unless you do it manually, and frankly I would rather have root canal.

Let us know if this doesnt help

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    Ken, you are certainly right about one thing: a manual registry cleaning is not any better than a root canal!

As for the cleaning itself, This particular sound has gotten eliminated a couple times with me when I was re-installing software. So this time, I had double-checked the sound being in place as I went along. It would seem strange that any "cleaner" would mess with what is seemingly a Windows default sound!

As for the use of cleaners in general, I have (in the past) had pretty good luck with them. It wasn't until a while back that this problem cropped up, and just today that I was able to at least pin it down that far. Because it was/is directly affected by the cleaning, it has to be a specific key that is getting ,is misinterpreted. If I know what key that is, I could export it separately.

In some ways I have fond memories of the ini files prior to the registry's appearance on the seen.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Yet another reason not to use a registry cleaner regularly.

Joe

Joe