Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Folks

When I load Outlook 2003 (Win XP-SP3) there are two 'Personal Folders' open, one with a little picture of a house, the other with a picture of some folders. They both have the same content (if I delete something in one, it gets deleted in the other too).

If I open other PST files a 'Close' menu item appears as normal, but both of the 'Personal Folders' don't have that choice, as if they are both the 'Master' PST file (except for the different icons). So I cannot 'Close' one of them.

If I hide the PST file by renaming it, Outlook opens with an 'Open PST File' dialog box. If I click 'cancel', it creates a new (single) PST file, but Outlook still shows 2 new 'Personal Folders', even though there is just the one new PST file on the disk.

Why is Outlook 'Auto-Cloning' the PST file internally, but not on disk?

Will

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The "house" icon indicates that is where email is currently being delivered as best I can tell. It sounds as if you have opened a second copy of your PST file, and that's why you see the same things in each. I'm not running 2003, so I can't test what happens then, but in 2007, Outlook seems to know that file is already open if I try to open it again. Hopefully someone with 2003 can duplicate your situation.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Hitchings View Post
    When I load Outlook 2003 (Win XP-SP3) there are two 'Personal Folders' open, one with a little picture of a house, the other with a picture of some folders. They both have the same content (if I delete something in one, it gets deleted in the other too).
    Check out these threads for some approaches to getting rid of duplicate PST entries in the navigation pane:

[topic=762826]Duplicate Folders[/topic] (4/2009)
    [topic=751395]Duplicate Personal Folders (Office 2000)[/topic] (1/2009)
    [topic=598701]Outlook Personal Folders problem (Outlook 2003)[/topic] (9/2006)