Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no problem establishing restore points. The problem is that they never work. Every time I try to restore, the result is an "unspecified error" which prevented the restoration. At first I though it might result from cleanup software that eliminates system volume information, but I made sure that the system volume info is preservered and that the Shadow Copy service is on. System restore has never worked on my computer which has always had Vista.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried disabling your anti-virus before the restore?

Joe

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elikam View Post
    I have no problem establishing restore points. The problem is that they never work. Every time I try to restore, the result is an "unspecified error" which prevented the restoration. At first I though it might result from cleanup software that eliminates system volume information, but I made sure that the system volume info is preservered and that the Shadow Copy service is on. System restore has never worked on my computer which has always had Vista.
    elikam,
    Hello, I also can relate, in my opinion "system restore" for me was completely unreliable. It would fail ( with goofy unspecific error messages) more times then i can remember. Just "6" it, and switch off. Get yourself a "quality" ( read pay for) imaging software. I use Acronis 2010 v 7046 , and there are many good choices available. You also can get "free whatever" programs like Paragon , EASEUS, Clonezilla, etc. But i have found that they are too basic, and for a few $$, Acronis has "great tools" , (even a mode that runs your PC in a virtual mode Try & Decide) well worth the money spent . I run Vista Home Premium SP-0 (no updates or patches .. main OS), SP-1 and SP-2 all patches. and have done scores of recoveries... too many to actually count, and keep at least 20 or so full images on hand. .....Bottom line ... "system restore" Vista is a looser Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)